Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Christopher Meiklejohn

Default Lucid on linode?

I have beta 2 working -- I can upgrade it now and see.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Andreas Hasenack <andreas@canonical.com> wrote:

Has anybody had success running current lucid on a linode

(www.linode.com) machine? I get plymouth errors during boot:

(...)

Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 1252k

init: ureadahead main process (978) terminated with status 5

udevd[1004]: failed to create queue file: No such file or directory

udevd[1004]: error creating queue file

init: udev main process (1004) terminated with status 1

init: udev main process ended, respawning

init: udevmonitor main process (1006) terminated with status 2

udevadm[1723]: error sending message: Connection refused

mountall: Disconnected from Plymouth

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *init: plymouth main process (979)

killed by SEGV signal

init: plymouth-splash main process (1724) terminated with status 2

I tried all kernels they had:

2.6.18.8-linode22

2.6.32-linode23

2.6.32-linode24

2.6.32.12-linode25 (paravirt)

The one that got the furthest was 2.6.18.8, but it dropped to a recovery

shell.

I used their karmic image and then did a release upgrade

(non-interactive). I also later installed (after booting into linode's

recovery iso) linux-image-virtual because some forum thread suggested

that it would work, but it didn't help.

- --

Andreas Hasenack

andreas@canonical.com

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Loc Minier

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> init: plymouth main process (979)
> killed by SEGV signal
> init: plymouth-splash main process (1724) terminated with status 2

Probably not the issue breaking lucid for you, but we discussed this
SEGV issue today and Colin Watson sent patches to fix the various issues:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/567592

Cheers
--
Loc Minier