Old 04-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Dustin Kirkland

Default Lucid Root on RAID1

Howdy-

All of the testing I've done on Lucid/RAID1 at the milestones has been
within KVM, using file-backed disk images, which continues to work
well. While this is a convenient test scenario, obviously it doesn't
match "real life".

This weekend, I reinstalled my primary server at home with Lucid and
tried to put / on a RAID1. I struggled mightily with this, eventually
filing https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/569900.

I run into a number of problems, beginning with my reboot landing me
in (initramfs) shell, and unable to mount /dev/md0 (though it exists,
and is syncing).

I'm wondering if anyone else in the Ubuntu Server community can help
confirm or deny this bug. You would need to have real hardware with
two disks, that you can reinstall. Please post your results here, if
you can help test this.

Thanks!

--
:-Dustin

Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Imre Gergely

On 04/26/2010 07:10 AM, Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone else in the Ubuntu Server community can help
> confirm or deny this bug. You would need to have real hardware with
> two disks, that you can reinstall. Please post your results here, if
> you can help test this.

I've tried various things but couldn't reproduce the problem... See my
comments in the bugreport.

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959

Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Imre Gergely <gimre@narancs.net> wrote:
> I've tried various things but couldn't reproduce the problem... See my
> comments in the bugreport.

Thanks, Imre.

Please, anyone else looking at this, comment in the bug report:
* https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/569900

At this point, it appears to be related to the geometry of the disks.
Still investigating.

--
:-Dustin

Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Alvin

On Monday 26 April 2010 16:22:13 Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Imre Gergely <gimre@narancs.net> wrote:
> > I've tried various things but couldn't reproduce the problem... See my
> > comments in the bugreport.
>
> Thanks, Imre.
>
> Please, anyone else looking at this, comment in the bug report:
> * https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/569900
>
> At this point, it appears to be related to the geometry of the disks.
> Still investigating.

This also worksforme(tm), but I'll misuse this thread to ask the people with
the same setup if they want to take an lvm snapshot and reboot their server.

WARNING: This could render your server unbootable. If it does, please set the
following bug to confirmed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/563895

(You can use the rescue option on the server CD to remove the snapshot and
reboot in order to restore your system to a working state)

Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Etienne Goyer

I have not read through your bug, but the symptoms sounds awfully like a
bug I reported a couple releases ago:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/244926

Perhaps a regression?

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

~= Ubuntu: Linux for Human Beings =~