Old 04-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Janåke Rönnblom

Default Problem with no display on 10.04 beta2 server

Hi!

I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no login prompt nothing!

Connecting through ssh works but I fear the day when I need to troubleshoot the server at the console...

-J

Janåke Rönnblom
mobile: +46-70-3970743
web: http://www.ronnblom.se

Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
"Egbert Jan"

As discussed before on this list.

PLEASE GIVE THE SERVER DISTRO ITS OLDFASIONED BOOT WITH ALL THOSE MESSAGES.
WE SYSOPS MIGHT NEED IT ONE DAY.

Or at least a way to configure it this way... A server IS NOT a
desktop/laptop.

Egbert Jan (NL)

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
James Gray

On 11/04/2010, at 7:15 PM, Janåke Rönnblom wrote:
> I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no login prompt nothing!
>
> Connecting through ssh works but I fear the day when I need to troubleshoot the server at the console...
>
> -J

What happens if you ssh in, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and modify the default kernel parameters to remove "quiet splash" (or if that fails, try include "text"), then reboot. See if that makes any difference to the result. Might be telling grandma how to suck eggs, but this little trick has revealed volumes in the past. I know it should "Just Work" but this might help isolate the fault. My initial guess is there is something a bit henky with the frame buffer support.

Cheers,

James--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 04-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Alvin

On Sunday 11 April 2010 11:59:58 James Gray wrote:
> On 11/04/2010, at 7:15 PM, Janåke Rönnblom wrote:
> > I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server
> > on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and
> > then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no
> > login prompt nothing!
> >
> > Connecting through ssh works but I fear the day when I need to
> > troubleshoot the server at the console...
> >
> > -J
>
> What happens if you ssh in, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and modify the default
> kernel parameters to remove "quiet splash" (or if that fails, try include
> "text"), then reboot. See if that makes any difference to the result.
> Might be telling grandma how to suck eggs, but this little trick has
> revealed volumes in the past. I know it should "Just Work" but this might
> help isolate the fault. My initial guess is there is something a bit
> henky with the frame buffer support.

In the past, it might have, but I tried this on a desktop edition of Lucid
beta and it was a bad idea. Boot halted (because of the bug where you can't
mount more than 4 lvm volumes.)

Without splash and quiet, you can see the messages, but not the buttons you
have to press to skip mounting the volume.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
James Gray

On 11/04/2010, at 8:06 PM, Alvin wrote:

> On Sunday 11 April 2010 11:59:58 James Gray wrote:
>> On 11/04/2010, at 7:15 PM, Janåke Rönnblom wrote:
>>> I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server
>>> on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and
>>> then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no
>>> login prompt nothing!
>>>
>>> Connecting through ssh works but I fear the day when I need to
>>> troubleshoot the server at the console...
>>>
>>> -J
>>
>> What happens if you ssh in, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and modify the default
>> kernel parameters to remove "quiet splash" (or if that fails, try include
>> "text"), then reboot. See if that makes any difference to the result.
>> Might be telling grandma how to suck eggs, but this little trick has
>> revealed volumes in the past. I know it should "Just Work" but this might
>> help isolate the fault. My initial guess is there is something a bit
>> henky with the frame buffer support.
>
> In the past, it might have, but I tried this on a desktop edition of Lucid
> beta and it was a bad idea. Boot halted (because of the bug where you can't
> mount more than 4 lvm volumes.)
>
> Without splash and quiet, you can see the messages, but not the buttons you
> have to press to skip mounting the volume.

But if it gets as far as mounting the file systems, surely it's well into the boot process at that stage...unless you have 4 LVM volumes for the root file system (??). Not 100% sure I'm following you - booting with the "quiet splash" you see nothing, and other than that, boots fine. So how would removing them to see the boot process cause the filesystem mounts to fail??

Cheers,

James--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Alvin

On Sunday 11 April 2010 12:16:55 James Gray wrote:
> On 11/04/2010, at 8:06 PM, Alvin wrote:

> >> What happens if you ssh in, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and modify the
> >> default kernel parameters to remove "quiet splash" (or if that fails,
> >> try include "text"), then reboot. See if that makes any difference to
> >> the result. Might be telling grandma how to suck eggs, but this little
> >> trick has revealed volumes in the past. I know it should "Just Work"
> >> but this might help isolate the fault. My initial guess is there is
> >> something a bit henky with the frame buffer support.
> >
> > In the past, it might have, but I tried this on a desktop edition of
> > Lucid beta and it was a bad idea. Boot halted (because of the bug where
> > you can't mount more than 4 lvm volumes.)
> >
> > Without splash and quiet, you can see the messages, but not the buttons
> > you have to press to skip mounting the volume.
>
> But if it gets as far as mounting the file systems, surely it's well into
> the boot process at that stage...unless you have 4 LVM volumes for the
> root file system (??). Not 100% sure I'm following you - booting with the
> "quiet splash" you see nothing, and other than that, boots fine. So how
> would removing them to see the boot process cause the filesystem mounts to
> fail??

Yes, it is starting to mount filesystems, but something could go wrong.

Some examples:
Lucid beta will not succeed if you have more than 4 lvm filesystem defined in
/etc/fstab. [https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/557909]
(Also, if you have defined mount points for snapshots, the upgrade to lucid
will have converted them to UUID's. Bad idea, because snapshots have the same
UUID as the filesystem where they are a snapshot from, so they could get
mounted in the wrong place. This will not halt boot, but could cause
confusion.)
Or, you could have defined dhcp in /etc/network/interfaces, which will cause
resolv.conf to stay empty. If you mount network shares by hostname, this will
halt your boot process. [https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/558384]

With splash, plymouth will ask what to do. (for example, skip mounting that
filesystem, or go into recovery shell,..)
So, if anything happens, you will just sit there if you have no splash, but
you will see the error messages better.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Thierry Carrez

Janåke Rönnblom wrote:
> I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no login prompt nothing!

I'm surprised by this.

For beta2 the situation is that splash is disabled by default, the
console messages show up on VT7 during boot, then at the end of the boot
the screen switches back to VT1 to show a login prompt. That has been my
experience with all the systems I tested the beta2 ISO with.

So you should get a login prompt in the end... and you should also be
able to display the boot messages by using Alt-F7.

What /can/ happen is that the system boots so fast you don't have time
to see VT7 before it switches back to the login prompt on VT1.

What /can/ also happen is that you installed Lucid from a previous beta
(one with "splash") and upgraded, so you still have that kernel boot option.

However in both cases you should get a login prompt...

All this is explained on the following bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/548954

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team

Old 04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Michael Waltz

I've noticed when removing quiet, but leaving splash, you get double
kernel messages. The first set are normal text output and then again
when plymouth takes over and re-displays them, but this time a lot slower.

Anyone else run across this?

The LVM bug is interesting, as our default preseed creates 5 LVM volumes
for the rootfs. Could explain why a lot of my installs and boots are
failing.

Micheal

--
Micheal Waltz
SMG Unix Infrastructure

Old 04-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Thierry Carrez

Janåke Rönnblom wrote:

> I have an IBM 3550 server where I have installed the 10.04 beta2 server on. On reboot after the BIOS messages all I get is a blinking cursor and then it disappears. If I try ALT+F1/F2, ENTER and so nothing happens no login prompt nothing!

This is affecting servers with ATi ES1000 graphics (we spotted this on
Lenovo and IBM servers so far). The bug report is:

and is now on the Ubuntu Server release management radar. A workaround
is to boot with "nomodeset".

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team