Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Dustin Kirkland

Default kqemu and Ubuntu

This message is directed at users of Virtualization in Ubuntu, and
specifically those who use kqemu in versions of Ubuntu <= 9.04.

You may safely disregard this message if:
* you do not care about Virtualization in Ubuntu (kqemu, qemu, kvm), or
* you're already happily running Ubuntu 9.10, or Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, or
* you are not using kqemu at all (see: dpkg -l kqemu*)

As discussed at UDS-Lucid in November last year, upstream QEMU has
completely dropped support for kqemu, and consequently will not be
available in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The decision has been discussed at
length in several bug reports, mailing list posts, and in IRC. I have
compiled a set of FAQs here, to help address the recurring questions:
* http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/04/kqemu-and-ubuntu.html
* https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu

My apologies for the cross-posting. The Ubuntu Server Team is simply
trying to pro-actively notify users of Ubuntu users of kqemu ahead of
the 10.04 LTS release, and direct users with recurring questions to
the FAQ pages on the topic.

Thanks,
:-Dustin

Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Ante Karamatić

On 07.04.2010 21:43, Dustin Kirkland wrote:

> As discussed at UDS-Lucid in November last year, upstream QEMU has
> completely dropped support for kqemu, and consequently will not be
> available in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The decision has been discussed at
> length in several bug reports, mailing list posts, and in IRC. I have
> compiled a set of FAQs here, to help address the recurring questions:
> * http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/04/kqemu-and-ubuntu.html
> * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kqemu

OK. So kqemu was dropped, that's fine. But what about systems that don't
have VT-enabled hardware but would still like to use vmbuilder?

In 8.04 it was possible to use 'ubuntu-vm-builder qemu hardy', but now
only (forgetting about vmware and xen for a moment) 'vmbuilder kvm
hardy' works. Without kvm module initialized, this operation fails. I'd
like to have virtualized systems inside of already virtualized system
(therefor, no hardware acceleration). Errors:

libvir: Domain Config error : internal error no supported architecture
for os type 'hvm'

libvirt.libvirtError: internal error no supported architecture for os
type 'hvm'

Basically, vmbuilder does the whole work, but dies on XML generation (if
you use --debug, you actually get to see generated xml). And if XML is
created by hand, libvirt starts it with command:

LC_ALL=C
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin
QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/bin/qemu -S -M pc-0.12 -no-kvm -m 512 -smp 1
-name test -uuid 7d78cbee-3832-ca61-ffdb-d3ec63c8db19 -chardev
socket,id=monitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/test.monitor,server,nowait
-monitor chardev:monitor -no-acpi -boot c -drive
file=/home/ivoks/VM/test/tmpkP59W4.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
none -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc 192.168.79.2:0 -vga cirrus

And this fails (system never loads grub completely). But if 'boot=on'
(in drive setup) is removed or replaced with 'boot=off' and then started
by hand, everything works fine.

Is all of this on purpose or is it a bug (or bugs)?

Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Dustin Kirkland

2010/4/13 Ante Karamatić <ivoks@grad.hr>:
> OK. So kqemu was dropped, that's fine. But what about systems that don't
> have VT-enabled hardware but would still like to use vmbuilder?
>
> In 8.04 it was possible to use 'ubuntu-vm-builder qemu hardy', but now
> only (forgetting about vmware and xen for a moment) 'vmbuilder kvm
> hardy' works. Without kvm module initialized, this operation fails. I'd
> like to have virtualized systems inside of already virtualized system
> (therefor, no hardware acceleration). Errors:
>
> libvir: Domain Config error : internal error no supported architecture
> for os type 'hvm'
>
> libvirt.libvirtError: internal error no supported architecture for os
> type 'hvm'
>
> Basically, vmbuilder does the whole work, but dies on XML generation (if
> you use --debug, you actually get to see generated xml). And if XML is
> created by hand, libvirt starts it with command:
>
> LC_ALL=C
> PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/bin
> QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/bin/qemu -S -M pc-0.12 -no-kvm -m 512 -smp 1
> -name test -uuid 7d78cbee-3832-ca61-ffdb-d3ec63c8db19 -chardev
> socket,id=monitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/test.monitor,server,nowait
> -monitor chardev:monitor -no-acpi -boot c -drive
> file=/home/ivoks/VM/test/tmpkP59W4.qcow2,if=ide,index=0,boot=on -net
> none -serial none -parallel none -usb -vnc 192.168.79.2:0 -vga cirrus
>
> And this fails (system never loads grub completely). But if 'boot=on'
> (in drive setup) is removed or replaced with 'boot=off' and then started
> by hand, everything works fine.
>
> Is all of this on purpose or is it a bug (or bugs)?

Sounds like a bug...

The kvm binary should currently fall back to running without
acceleration, if no acceleration is available.

kirkland@x200:/local/virt/iso$ sudo stop qemu-kvm
[sudo] password for kirkland:
qemu-kvm stop/waiting
kirkland@x200:/local/virt/iso$ time kvm -m 512 -cdrom lucid-desktop-amd64.iso
open /dev/kvm: No such file or directory
Could not initialize KVM, will disable KVM support

I should think that vmbuilder should be able to continue using qemu
(or kvm) in a non-accelerated manner. I just booted a LiveCD without
KVM. It worked, though it took a long time to boot (~10 minutes).

:-Dustin

Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Dustin Kirkland