Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 PM
Benjamin Griese

Default KVM HA

Hi Nikolai,

if you want an out-of-the-box solution with a GUI try proxmox-ve, in ubuntu you could try the eucalyptus packages from the repositories.
Keep on using google.

Bye.

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 17:36, Nikolai K. Bochev <n.bochev@grandstarco.com> wrote:

Hello list,

Can anyone point me to howto's/tutorials or at least references to how can i achieve a HA cluster with KVM guests on it ?

I am talking about a node1 <-> node2 setup with shared storage and KVM guests need to be started on node2 when node1 fails etc.
Any links or info going that way will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator

To be or not to be -- Shakespeare | To do is to be -- Nietzsche | To be is to do -- Sartre | Do be do be do -- Sinatra

Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Hey Benjamin,

Does eucalyptus provide high availability features ?
I know about proxmox but i'd rather stay along with ubuntu ( and Lucid ) for the next 5 years.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Sander van Vugt

Hi Nicolai,

I've written a book on how to do that with pacemaker and Xen, on some
other distribution, but if you know Ubuntu well enough, you'll find your
way. Most of the configuration is related to pacemaker, Xen is just one
easy part of it. Since Ubuntu will be using Pacemaker from 10.04 on, I
think the book can help a lot. See attachment.

Sander

Old 03-29-2010, 06:28 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Hey Sander,

Thank you very much for you kind help !
I am not sure if i can purchase the book right now, but i will surely try to do so over the next month.
If nothing else i will make sure i provide you with whatever info you need while i am setting up HA with KVM among the lines of the book, so you could probably use that.

Thanks again !

--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator

Old 03-29-2010, 06:40 PM
Sander van Vugt

Hey Nicolai,

You did receive the attachment, didn't you?
It contains the full PDF of the book. (But it's too big and therefore
waiting for approval to be put on the list)

Good luck setting up your cluster!
Sander

Old 03-29-2010, 06:50 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Hey Sander,

I did receive it, but i if i can, i will buy it next month

Same goes for providing feedback/help with setting things up on Ubuntu/KVM.

I've been searching for something as complete as this book for some time.
I have never really made a cluster setup, because i didn't have free hardware to do so until now and to be honest i didn't fully understand how things are done.
Other than that i think i can find my way through your guide with ubuntu pretty well ( minus the gui stuff ).

--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator

Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Andres Rodriguez

Hi Nikolai,
You can take a look at [1] for a place to start on configuring clusters. I've never configured one that involves KVM but I'm pretty sure it would be possible.

[1]:*https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClusterStack/LucidTesting
Cheers,
Can anyone point me to howto's/tutorials or at least references to how can i achieve a HA cluster with KVM guests on it ?

I am talking about a node1 <-> node2 setup with shared storage and KVM guests need to be started on node2 when node1 fails etc.
Any links or info going that way will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

--

Nikolai K. Bochev
System Administrator

Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)
Ubuntu MOTU Developer

Systems Engineer

Old 03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Andres Rodriguez

Hi again,*
I've just found this [1]. This means that you can indeed setup HA KVM .
[1]: http://www.linux-ha.org/doc/re-ra-VirtualDomain.html