Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Serge van Ginderachter

Default Give normal user access to an init.d script

On 24 March 2010 23:31, Lox <lox.dev@knc.nc> wrote:

What I want to do is allow one user on my server to start/stop the

shoutcast server. At the moment I can only do it using sudo.
sudo is the way to go...

you probably want to write a wrapper script, and only allow that script with sudo for that user

--

* * Met vriendelijke groet,

* * Serge van Ginderachter

Old 03-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Ralph Janke

Hello,

I am not sure if this idea satisfies your requirements. However,
I think what you mean is, that you want to give this user only
the permission to start this particular service (shoutcast), and
don't give him full root access via sudo, is that right?

If so, you can do this still via sudo. Sudo allows you to configure
this particular user in a way that the obtained privileges only
allow the starting of the shoutcast script.

if you look at the configuration man page for sudoers there are some
examples how to do that.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1132821 has also some good
explanations how to do this.

Hope this helps,
Ralph (txwikinger)

Old 03-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Soren Hansen

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:06:34AM +0100, Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
>> What I want to do is allow one user on my server to start/stop the
>> shoutcast server. At the moment I can only do it using sudo.
> sudo is the way to go...
>
> you probably want to write a wrapper script, and only allow that script with
> sudo for that user

No need for a wrapper script. sudo offers this all on its own.

See the sudoers man page:

$ man 5 sudoers

--
Soren Hansen