Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
carlopmart

Default Identifying packages for ubuntu server 10.04 with apt

Scott Kitterman wrote:

> "Jorge Armando Medina" <jmedina@e-compugraf.com> wrote:
>
>> carlopmart wrote:

>>> Good. But how can I configure apt to only/install/update, etc .. these packages
>>> supported for 5y and discard all 3y support packages??
>>>

>> Then dont use universe and multiverse repositories, only main.
>>
> That doesn't solve the OP's problem. He wants to avoid desktop packages with a 3 year support window.
>
> Scott K

Exactly. Is it possible to do this??

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 PM
carlopmart

carlopmart wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:

>>> Then dont use universe and multiverse repositories, only main.
>>>
>> That doesn't solve the OP's problem. He wants to avoid desktop
>> packages with a 3 year support window.
>> Scott K
>>
> Exactly. Is it possible to do this??

Nothing?? Isn't possible to do this??

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 03-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Scott Kitterman

"carlopmart" <carlopmart@gmail.com> wrote:

>carlopmart wrote:
>> Scott Kitterman wrote:

>>> That doesn't solve the OP's problem. He wants to avoid desktop
>>> packages with a 3 year support window.
>>> Scott K
>>>
>> Exactly. Is it possible to do this??
>>
>Nothing?? Isn't possible to do this??

One of the Canonical people had a script for this.

Scott K

Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM
carlopmart

Scott Kitterman wrote:

>>> Exactly. Is it possible to do this??
>>>
>> Nothing?? Isn't possible to do this??
>>
> One of the Canonical people had a script for this.
>
> Scott K

Can be downloaded??

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Nicolas Barcet

On 03/19/2010 05:14 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> "carlopmart" <carlopmart@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> carlopmart wrote:

[...]
> [...]

[...]

>>> Exactly. Is it possible to do this??
>>>
>> Nothing?? Isn't possible to do this??
>>
> One of the Canonical people had a script for this.

I guess Scott is referring to maintenance-check. It's functions have
been integrated into apt-cache as shown above, so it's deprecated and
was not providing anything more than information.

Sincerely, I think that if you only pick packages that are in main which
are not desktop related (non gui) you should be fine and you can easily
check that you are ok looping "dpkg -l" through "apt-cache show $xx" and
checking the results. Wouldn't you?

Nick

Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
carlopmart

Nicolas Barcet wrote:

> I guess Scott is referring to maintenance-check. It's functions have
> been integrated into apt-cache as shown above, so it's deprecated and
> was not providing anything more than information.
>
> Sincerely, I think that if you only pick packages that are in main which
> are not desktop related (non gui) you should be fine and you can easily
> check that you are ok looping "dpkg -l" through "apt-cache show $xx" and
> checking the results. Wouldn't you?
>
> Nick

Nick,

One question: all packages in main repository have 5y support?? or exists packages
with only 3y support??

Thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Nicolas Barcet

On 03/19/2010 08:18 PM, carlopmart wrote:
> One question: all packages in main repository have 5y support?? or exists packages
> with only 3y support??

Main (for LTS) contains packages that have:
- 5y support coming from the server seeds
- 3y support coming from the desktop seeds
- 18mo support coming from other seeds

More details on seeds, can be found at [1] and maintenance period is
described at [2].

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeedManagement
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeedManagement#Maintenance%20Period

Nick