Old 03-18-2010, 11:09 AM
carlopmart

Default Identifying packages for ubuntu server 10.04 with apt

Hi all,

Is it already possible to identify which packets belong to the server version with
lucid lynx using apt or another type of tool?

I need to install multiple virtual machines only with the server version (without
any workstation packages) and guarantee support of it.

Many thanks.

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
"Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)"

On 18/03/2010 14:09, carlopmart wrote:
> Is it already possible to identify which packets belong to the server version with
> lucid lynx using apt or another type of tool?

Not sure if it will suite your needs, but I check individual packages
like this:

jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show apache2 | grep Supported
Supported: 5y
jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show gcalctool | grep Supported
Supported: 3y

HTH

-Jonathan

Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
carlopmart

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> On 18/03/2010 14:09, carlopmart wrote:
>> Is it already possible to identify which packets belong to the
>> server version with
>> lucid lynx using apt or another type of tool?
>
> Not sure if it will suite your needs, but I check individual packages
> like this:
>
> jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show apache2 | grep Supported
> Supported: 5y
> jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show gcalctool | grep Supported
> Supported: 3y
>
> HTH
>
> -Jonathan

Good. But how can I configure apt to only/install/update, etc .. these packages
supported for 5y and discard all 3y support packages??

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

carlopmart wrote:
> Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
>
>> On 18/03/2010 14:09, carlopmart wrote:
>>
>>> Is it already possible to identify which packets belong to the
>>> server version with
>>> lucid lynx using apt or another type of tool?
>>>
>> Not sure if it will suite your needs, but I check individual packages
>> like this:
>>
>> jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show apache2 | grep Supported
>> Supported: 5y
>> jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show gcalctool | grep Supported
>> Supported: 3y
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> -Jonathan
>>

> Good. But how can I configure apt to only/install/update, etc .. these packages
> supported for 5y and discard all 3y support packages??

Then dont use universe and multiverse repositories, only main.

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México

Old 03-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Scott Kitterman

"Jorge Armando Medina" <jmedina@e-compugraf.com> wrote:

>carlopmart wrote:
>> Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:

>>> Not sure if it will suite your needs, but I check individual packages
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show apache2 | grep Supported
>>> Supported: 5y
>>> jonathan@disclaimer:~$ apt-cache show gcalctool | grep Supported
>>> Supported: 3y
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> -Jonathan
>>>

>> Good. But how can I configure apt to only/install/update, etc .. these packages
>> supported for 5y and discard all 3y support packages??
>>

>Then dont use universe and multiverse repositories, only main.

That doesn't solve the OP's problem. He wants to avoid desktop packages with a 3 year support window.

Scott K--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com