Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Asif Iqbal

Default no ubuntu login prompt without a monitor

Hi

I have a desktop setup with karmic desktop 32 bit.

I am having an odd issue. Unless I have the monitor connected to my
desktop the serial console does not get the login prompt

I setup the serial console using the url below
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

I am using grub, not grub2

# cat /etc/init/ttyS0.conf

# ttyS0 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on ttyS0 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
exec /sbin/getty -L 9600 ttyS0 vt102

# sudo start ttyS0

# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
# Enable console output via the serial port. unit 0 is /dev/ttyS0,
unit 1 is /dev/ttyS1...
serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=15 serial console

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.10-5-386
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-5-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet
splash console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.10-5-386
savedefault
boot

I don't have access to the actual desktop right now, so the kernel
version is off

when I reboot the box while connected to the desktop from my laptop
using serial console I get upto the last line right before the login
prompt.
the login prompt never shows up. however, if i connect the monitor to
the desktop as well and reboot from the serial console i get all the
way to the login prompt. and all works.

any idea how to fix it?

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Asif Iqbal

[...]

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?