Old 03-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Thierry Carrez

Default Status of Ubuntu Server documentation for 10.04

Everyone,

I've been looking into the current state of the Ubuntu Server guide at:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/

Quickly reading through it, I could identify a few chapters that could
use a refresh:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/screen-profiles.html
-> should mention byobu instead

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/likewise-open.html
-> no more likewise-open5
-> should probably be moved to general non-server doc since this is more
a use case for Ubuntu workstations

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/preparing-to-install.html
-> requirements might need some update

+ Nothing in the doc about UEC.

If anyone spots other issues, please add them to this thread

Adam, Matthew: Adam has been taking care of the Server Guide in previous
releases, but he doesn't seem to have as much time to coordinate
everything for this release, so I was wondering if we should just open
bugs against ubuntu-docs and propose branches for review ?

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team

Old 03-11-2010, 04:39 PM
"Andres E. Rodriguez Lazo"

Hi everyone,
In the side of the Clustering Stack, we would also like to add the Clustering Docs (Failover/Loadbalancing) based on the ones at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClusterStack/LucidTesting

Cheers,

[...]

Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)
Ubuntu MOTU Developer

Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Adam Sommer

Hello,
*

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/screen-profiles.html

-> should mention byobu instead

I should be able to get to this one.*

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/likewise-open.html

-> no more likewise-open5

-> should probably be moved to general non-server doc since this is more a use case for Ubuntu workstations

I can take a look at moving it to the desktop guide somewhere.

*

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/preparing-to-install.html

-> requirements might need some update

What are the new requirements?
*

+ Nothing in the doc about UEC.

I'll try and find time to take a look at*https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC*and see about placing something in the Server Guide.

Thanks*Thierry.
--
Party On,
Adam

Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Adam Sommer

In the side of the Clustering Stack, we would also like to add the Clustering Docs (Failover/Loadbalancing) based on the ones at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClusterStack/LucidTesting

Not sure I'll have time to get that in for Lucid, but I can try. *If anyone would like to help, "translating" from the Wiki to DocBook isn't that hard.

Thanks Andres.

--
Party On,
Adam

Old 03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Matthew East

Hi Thierry,

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Thierry Carrez
<thierry.carrez@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Adam, Matthew: Adam has been taking care of the Server Guide in previous
> releases, but he doesn't seem to have as much time to coordinate everything
> for this release, so I was wondering if we should just open bugs against
> ubuntu-docs and propose branches for review ?

Yes, that's absolutely fine. Please also tag the bugs with "serverguide".

See my previous post to the same effect here:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-doc/2010-February/014359.html

One query I would have is how we should check whether the person
proposing the branch is a trusted member of the server team (i.e. we
can approve a branch on the basis of a check of the style and
language, without worry about whether the technical details of the
content are correct). ~ubuntu-server in Launchpad has a lot of members
(161), so I suspect it might not be appropriate to assume that every
member of that team should have carte blanche in terms of technical
skills? Maybe there is a different Launchpad team which could be used
as a point of reference, or specific individuals in the server team
could be appointed to do technical content review for the server
guide?

Cross posting to ubuntu-doc@ for their input too.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Steve Beattie

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 03:43:45PM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> If anyone spots other issues, please add them to this thread

I asked on the ubuntu-doc list if there was any specific reason why
there was no documentation about how to report bugs in the server guide
and elsewhere and got no response. Given that we ensured that apport is
installed by default on ubuntu-server in Karmic and that Chuck Short has
been working to add apport package hooks for server packages this cycle,
I thought it would be useful to have some documentation in the server
guide about how to file bugs with ubuntu-bug (and that you don't need a
desktop environment/X to do so).

Attached is my attempt at drafting such a section; I added it as
an Appendix to the server guide. Feedback welcome!

--
Steve Beattie
<sbeattie@ubuntu.com>

Old 03-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Thierry Carrez

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> If anyone spots other issues, please add them to this thread

I took the opportunity of flying to read through the guide, here are the
outstanding issues I detected:

* Tomcat: Rights for the /etc/tomcat6 directory
There have been some changes in that area, I think the manager
applications now work out of the box... I'll have to doublecheck though

* MySQL: Mentions of mysql-server-5.0
The version in main is 5.1, maybe the reference should be updated

* Likewise Open 5
There is no longer likewise-open5 in lucid, so references to it should
be removed.

* eucalyptus out of date
The eucalyptus part needs a serious refresh. We encourage the use of the
UEC installer to install Eucalyptus, not manual packages. Maybe that
section should be removed if nobody has the time to rewrite it by
DocumentationStringFreeze...

* screen-profiles
Should be updated to byobu

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team

Old 03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Andres Rodriguez

Hi Adam,
Is there a wikipage that shows hwo to do the *"translation" or any guidelines?
thanks

In the side of the Clustering Stack, we would also like to add the Clustering Docs (Failover/Loadbalancing) based on the ones at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClusterStack/LucidTesting

Not sure I'll have time to get that in for Lucid, but I can try. *If anyone would like to help, "translating" from the Wiki to DocBook isn't that hard.

Thanks Andres.

--
Party On,
Adam

Andres Rodriguez (RoAkSoAx)
Ubuntu MOTU Developer

Systems Engineer

Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Adam Sommer

Thanks for the patch Steve, it's appreciated. *I merged your patch after some adjustments to get it to validate. *Also, added a link to the Apport wiki page.
Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Adam Sommer

Hello,*

* Tomcat: Rights for the /etc/tomcat6 directory

There have been some changes in that area, I think the manager

applications now work out of the box... I'll have to doublecheck though

Not sure about this either. *I tried working through the guide, but may have made a mistake somewhere. *Just let me know if the permission changes should be removed.

*

* MySQL: Mentions of mysql-server-5.0

The version in main is 5.1, maybe the reference should be updated

Done.*

* Likewise Open 5

There is no longer likewise-open5 in lucid, so references to it should

be removed.

Done.*

* eucalyptus out of date

The eucalyptus part needs a serious refresh. We encourage the use of the

UEC installer to install Eucalyptus, not manual packages. Maybe that

section should be removed if nobody has the time to rewrite it by

DocumentationStringFreeze...

Will try to get this updated tonight and tomorrow, but if not would it work to just place a link to the wiki page?*

* screen-profiles

Should be updated to byobu

Done.*

Thanks again for your feedback Thierry.