Old 03-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Ryan Parrish

Default apt-get still not working

On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Services wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did a re-install and was able to get 8.04.4 installed and all seemed
> okay. After the installation was complete I typed the following:
>
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and recieved the following:
>
> Err http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release.gpg
>
> Could not connect to security.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.88.31), connection
> timed out [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
>
> Err http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Translation-en_US
>
> Unable to connect to security.ubuntu.com http: [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

<snip>

Can you access http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ just in your web browser? It should respond with a "Index of /" page.
You wouldn't happen to have any kind of standard (i.e. you have to setup the proxy settings on your computer) or transparent proxy on your network would you? This is acting like some kind of proxy server somewhere messing things up.

--Ryan Parrish

Old 03-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Jorge Dardón

2010/3/10 Ryan Parrish <rparrish@freightlogistics.com>:

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Services wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I did a re-install and was able to get 8.04.4 installed and all seemed
>> okay. *After the installation was complete I typed the following:
>>
>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and recieved the following:
>>
>> Err http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release.gpg
>>
>> Could not connect to security.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.88.31), connection
>> timed out [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
>>
>> Err http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Translation-en_US
>>
>> Unable to connect to security.ubuntu.com http: [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
>>

> <snip>
>
> Can you access http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ just in your web browser? *It should respond with a "Index of /" page.
> You wouldn't happen to have any kind of standard (i.e. you have to setup the proxy settings on your computer) or transparent proxy on your network would you? *This is acting like some kind of proxy server somewhere messing things up.

Are you behind a proxy server?

try to export this env variables:

# export HTTP_PROXY="http://ip_proxyort"
# export FTP_PROXY="http://ip_proxyort"

--
Jorge Dardón Galicia

Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
"Fabio T. Leitao"

I had the same issue in the past, something o do with the way my ISP worked...
If you are able to get to the repository web server,*try:*sudo apt-get update -o Acquire::http::No-Cache=True

It worked for my, and is now a part of a script a run when I need to check for upgrades... I call it gta (stands for Get Them All), you can try as a script or simply writing every line

leitao@amz:~$ cat /usr/local/bin/gta*#!/bin/bashsudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get checksudo apt-get update -o Acquire::http::No-Cache=True

sudo apt-get -y autoremovesudo apt-get -f -y install

sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get -f -y install*sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get -f -y install

sudo apt-get -y autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean*sudo apt-get clean

2010/3/10 Jorge Dardón <jorge@xelalug.org>

2010/3/10 Ryan Parrish <rparrish@freightlogistics.com>:

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Services wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I did a re-install and was able to get 8.04.4 installed and all seemed

>> okay. *After the installation was complete I typed the following:

>> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade and recieved the following:

>> Err http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security Release.gpg

>> Could not connect to security.ubuntu.com:80 (91.189.88.31), connection

>> timed out [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

>> Err http://security.ubuntu.com hardy-security/main Translation-en_US

>> Unable to connect to security.ubuntu.com http: [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

> <snip>

> Can you access http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ just in your web browser? *It should respond with a "Index of /" page.

> You wouldn't happen to have any kind of standard (i.e. you have to setup the proxy settings on your computer) or transparent proxy on your network would you? *This is acting like some kind of proxy server somewhere messing things up.

Are you behind a proxy server?

try to export this env variables:

# export HTTP_PROXY="http://ip_proxyort"

# export FTP_PROXY="http://ip_proxyort"