Old 03-05-2010, 09:21 PM
"M. Milanuk"

Default Home LAN server: old PC hardware vs. refurb. server

Hello all,

Recently my little home server (Asus bare-bones kit PC that I bought
used a year + back, Sempron 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 13.7GB HD + two 500GB SATA
drives, CD/DVD-ROM) took a dump. It's in the local PC shop, but I fear
the MB may be done for. As such... I'm considering options. One may be
if the shop has or can get for a reasonable price replacement parts. If
not, I may be shopping CraigsList for another old mid-tower PC again.

In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell
refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their
refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a
run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. Given that the
load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4
people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware
lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the
computer for the forseeable future.

Any experience or comments on the matter?

TIA,

Monte

Old 03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Wade Smart

M. Milanuk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently my little home server (Asus bare-bones kit PC that I bought
> used a year + back, Sempron 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 13.7GB HD + two 500GB SATA
> drives, CD/DVD-ROM) took a dump. It's in the local PC shop, but I fear
> the MB may be done for. As such... I'm considering options. One may be
> if the shop has or can get for a reasonable price replacement parts. If
> not, I may be shopping CraigsList for another old mid-tower PC again.
>
> In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell
> refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their
> refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a
> run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. Given that the
> load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4
> people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware
> lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the
> computer for the forseeable future.
>
> Any experience or comments on the matter?
>
> TIA,
>
> Monte

I have a Shuttle XPC for a workstation and a server. I love them.
Dell work stations, I too have used refurbished ones in the past without
problems. I would do it.

Wade

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Old 03-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Steve

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 22:21:40 -0000, M. Milanuk <memilanuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Recently my little home server (Asus bare-bones kit PC that I bought
> used a year + back, Sempron 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 13.7GB HD + two 500GB SATA
> drives, CD/DVD-ROM) took a dump. It's in the local PC shop, but I fear
> the MB may be done for. As such... I'm considering options. One may be
> if the shop has or can get for a reasonable price replacement parts. If
> not, I may be shopping CraigsList for another old mid-tower PC again.
>
> In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell
> refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their
> refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a
> run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. Given that the
> load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4
> people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware
> lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the
> computer for the forseeable future.
>
> Any experience or comments on the matter?

Doesn’t really matter what you use, it could fall apart in the next few
weeks or last years. I’m using a ten year old MOBO, PIII 800MHz 384MiB
RAM, with out any problems.

--
Steve

Yorvyk

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 PM
"M. Milanuk"

On 3/5/2010 2:35 PM, Steve wrote:

> Doesn’t really matter what you use, it could fall apart in the next few
> weeks or last years. I’m using a ten year old MOBO, PIII 800MHz 384MiB
> RAM, with out any problems.

Granted... this one I had probably would have gone on running just
duckily for quite some time. I had been playing 'musical chairs' trying
one distro and then another, rather than just leaving well enough alone.
I'll probably confine my random test/reboot stuff to VirtualBox on my
PC in the future, and leave the server alone for the most part.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 PM
"M. Milanuk"

On 3/5/2010 2:30 PM, Wade Smart wrote:

> I have a Shuttle XPC for a workstation and a server. I love them.
> Dell work stations, I too have used refurbished ones in the past without
> problems. I would do it.

That brings up one of the things I've been debating about... those
Shuttle micro towers tend to be really quiet, which would be a plus for
a home server (this one is tucked away in a study/office nook of the
main floor) vs. the sometimes howling fans of a regular 'server'. The
models I had been looking at were some of the lower-end Dell PowerEdge
mid-tower units - T100, and similar. I am planning on setting up
software RAID 1 using the two 500GB SATA drives from the old machine
under /srv, so having some space to work with will probably be a
consideration.

Monte

Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM, M. Milanuk <memilanuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently my little home server (Asus bare-bones kit PC that I bought
> used a year + back, Sempron 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 13.7GB HD + two 500GB SATA
> drives, CD/DVD-ROM) took a dump. *It's in the local PC shop, but I fear
> the MB may be done for. *As such... I'm considering options. *One may be
> if the shop has or can get for a reasonable price replacement parts. *If
> not, I may be shopping CraigsList for another old mid-tower PC again.

I would NOT go for a used server.
They were not designed to be quiet or cheap on power - and you would
probably prefer both.

You might get something a little better quality by going with a
'commercial brand name' desktop like a GX series Dell - but you might
not either :-)

Personally I'd go yardsaling and grab something with a big enough case
to hold the drives you want or just ask friends and neighbours for
whatever they don't want. Plan on buying a PCI SATA card. With that
and linux software RAID the rest of the hardware is pretty easily
replaced. I've had an old white box Celeron 900Mhz for several years
now (it replaced a Cyrix 686 unit. :-) Darned near anything will work
for what you want.

If you care about power and quiet - go look at a Toredo plug or
something similar and some external drive cases - cheap on power,
really small and quiet.

Brian
--
Hey, it's your computer.... isn't it?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
NoOp

On 03/05/2010 04:35 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
> If you care about power and quiet - go look at a Toredo plug or
> something similar and some external drive cases - cheap on power,
> really small and quiet.

I very much like my old Heathkit H8 - convection cooled :-)

Old 03-06-2010, 05:20 AM
"L.M.J"

Le Fri, 05 Mar 2010 14:21:40 -0800,
"M. Milanuk" <memilanuk@gmail.com> a crit :
> Recently my little home server (Asus bare-bones kit PC that I bought
> used a year + back, Sempron 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 13.7GB HD + two 500GB SATA
> drives, CD/DVD-ROM) took a dump. It's in the local PC shop, but I fear
> the MB may be done for. As such... I'm considering options. One may be
> if the shop has or can get for a reasonable price replacement parts. If
> not, I may be shopping CraigsList for another old mid-tower PC again.
>
> In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell
> refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their
> refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a
> run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. Given that the
> load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4
> people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware
> lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the
> computer for the forseeable future.

Hi,

Depending of your budget but if if you are hesitating between a PC and a real old server, your budget is
somewhat limited what I totally understand.
Real servers are very nice : ECC memory, fast and reliable SCSI or SAS HD with a real RAID card with
fast read/write cache, 2 power supply, sometimes iLO for remote management... but they are so noisy and
rack-able which, if you don't have a dedicated rack, could be problematic to store correctly.
Since you have 2 500GB drives and most of the decent servers only use SCSI and/or SAS, you will be not able
to connect them inside (maybe on a very-low range server such as Fujitsu Siemens RX100 and HP Proliant
DL1*...)
You should look for, at least, a server with 4 300Go SCSI disks who will provide you 900GB online under
RAID5...

CU

--
LMJ
"May the source be with you my young padawan"

Old 03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Serge van Ginderachter

On 5 March 2010 23:21, M. Milanuk <memilanuk@gmail.com> wrote:

In the past (6-8yrs ago) I had pretty good luck with some Dell

refurbished workstations... so I started wondering if maybe their

refurbished low-end servers might be a better idea than a

run-of-the-mill desktop PC pressed into server duty. *Given that the

load is extremely *low* (primarily backup file storage server for 2-4

people) in this situation, I'm more just interested in the hardware

lasting a good long while without having replace parts and/or the

computer for the forseeable future.

Any experience or comments on the matter?
For a home server, you might want to take the power consumption into consideration, especially if you plan to keep that box running all day long.

--

* * Met vriendelijke groet,

* * Serge van Ginderachter