Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Rudi Ahlers

Default how to work with Code Repositories, but for web development?

Hi all,

I would like some suggestion on this matter please. I have never bothered using any code repositories / version control systems for our web development project, many cause I didn't know any better, and probably cause most of our projects don't really require that we need to keep a history of what has changed. i.e. a client wants to change something on their website, and we change it, whether it's cosmetics or code (normally PHP & MySQL).

But, I want to see if CVS, or maybe even a forge script (like in offerforge) could benefit met. Most of the time when we make changes to the code, we simply update the version, from say 1.2.2 to 1.2.3 and write the changes to a basic changelog, which in our case is a simple text file calles changelog.txt

But, how could I benefit from a CVS, ir similar system? And what would be best for this environment? I installed CVS on my CentOS server, but it seems that it's not just a matter of creating a tree and dumping code.* I'm not too worried about multiple users at this stage. All our coding is currently stored on a CentOS 5.4 Samba server, so we can access to the code from either a Windows or Linux PC. Do I need anything more?

I started using eclipse+PHP a few months ago and I don't really use it to its full potential, so I'm sure I could benefit from it more.

So, the question is, what is a good recommended setup to go with? Web based access to all the files would be nice, then we could access it from outside the LAN on HTTPS.

And how do I use it to my benefit? For example, clientA wants to make changes to Project1. Now I have a Project1 in the CVS tree (is this the right terminology?), and make changes to file contacts.php - what now? Do I need to create a subfolder called 1.2.2 (for example), and add only the updated file in this folder, or do I copy the whole Project into the new folder?

2 weeks down the line I need to make changes to 8 files, what do I do now?

Does this make sense? I realize it could be beneficial to keep older files, but how does one structure it?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com
Technical Blog: http://Blog.SoftDux.com
Office: 087 805 9573

Cell: 082 554 7532

Old 02-11-2010, 02:30 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

If you ask me, this message doesn't belong in here.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Paul Heinlein

The one other tidbit that I'd add is ... experiment! Don't let your
first try at setting up a repository be your production setup.

Try different repository layouts. The online subversion book walks you
through the issues, but I'd caution against making a decision without
trying stuff out.

Create your repo (I use Subversion, but that's no knock against Git or
Darcs or Mercurial or ...). Check out or clone a copy. Edit some
files. Rearrange directories. Commit the changes. Rinse, lather,
repeat -- several times.

Ask yourself if the layout is good, if the repository workflow
dovetails with the way you work, if the client-side tools work well
with the various operating systems in your environment.

If you'll rely on a central, official repository, figure out a backup
strategy.

It's good to figure out a template for commit messages: what
information needs to be provided to document the "why" of changes.
There are few things more annoying than an empty or meaningless commit
message.

Finally, if your repository goes hand-in-hand with a lot of
meta-information like documentation, trouble tickets, milestones, or
things like screenshots, think about associating your repository with
a wiki like Trac:

http://trac.edgewall.org/