Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Mat

Default KVM on a Cluster?

Hello,

The cluster stack found in the wiki[1] looks very promising and I'm
looking forward to testing it out. One thing I've been thinking about
lately and looking for online is the possibility of running a virtual
machine with KVM on top of a cluster.

Is it possible, or even practical to run an application like KVM on a
cluster? The reason driving me to think about this would be hardware
redundancy, and the ability to make "live" backups of a virtual machine
by isolating it from the others (a script that temporarily disables the
network?) and shutting it down for a snapshot.

Unfortunately, I have very little practical knowledge and experience
when it comes to clusters, so please feel free to enlighten me if I'm
proposing something crazy.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ClusterStack/LucidTesting

Thanks.
matoc

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Sander van Vugt

Hi,

Yes, this is perfectly possible. I'm just finalizing a book on how to do
that trick with Xen machines. But from cluster perspective, it
absolutely doesn't matter which machine type to use. Look for the
following:

openais + pacemaker HA clustering
shared storage on a SAN, based on OCFS2 so that it is accessible by
multiple nodes simultaneously
enough RAM in all the host machines

HTH,
Sander