Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu Server Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/)
-   -   dmidecode (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/323674-dmidecode.html)

Kaushal Shriyan 02-10-2010 10:11 AM

dmidecode
 
Hi,

i have a issue about Maximum Capacity: 4 GB while running
dmidecode,but the actual memory is 8GB on san box.

Thanks and Regards,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Kaushal Shriyan 02-10-2010 11:28 AM

dmidecode
 
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Tim Slot <tim.slot@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kaushal,
>
> try;
>
> apt-get install linux-image-`uname -r`-bigmem
> apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`-bigmem
>
> and reboot from this kernel.
>
Hi Tom,

I did the below suggestion.

root@hostii3:~# apt-get install linux-image-`uname -r`-bigmem
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic-bigmem
root@hostii3:~:~# uname -r
2.6.24-16-generic
root@hostii3:~:~# getconf LONG_BIT
64
root@hostii3:~:~# apt-get install linux-image-bigmem
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package linux-image-bigmem
root@hostii3:~:~# apt-cache search bigmem
root@hostii3:~:~#

Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Kaushal Shriyan 02-10-2010 11:55 AM

dmidecode
 
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Aurélien Naldi
<aurelien.naldi@gmail.com> wrote:
>> root@hostii3:~:~# apt-get install linux-image-bigmem
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> E: Couldn't find package linux-image-bigmem
>> root@hostii3:~:~# apt-cache search bigmem
>> root@hostii3:~:~#
>>
>> Please suggest.
>
>
> Hi,
>
> depending on the ubuntu version, it may be called -server or -pae
> BTW, if you are running a 64bit install, it should just work with the
> default kernel (AFAIK).
>
> I'm not familiar with dmidecode output, but it is supposed to be about
> hardware capabilities, not software ones. Are you sure this is the
> global limit of the system and not the capacity of a single memory
> slot ?
>

free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 8001 7955 45 0 0 7812
-/+ buffers/cache: 143 7857
Swap: 4761 42 4719

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Aurélien Naldi 02-10-2010 12:05 PM

dmidecode
 
>> Hi,
>>
>> depending on the ubuntu version, it may be called -server or -pae
>> BTW, if you are running a 64bit install, it should just work with the
>> default kernel (AFAIK).
>>
>> I'm not familiar with dmidecode output, but it is supposed to be about
>> hardware capabilities, not software ones. Are you sure this is the
>> global limit of the system and not the capacity of a single memory
>> slot ?
>>
>
> free -m
> * * * * * * total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
> Mem: * * * * *8001 * * * 7955 * * * * 45 * * * * *0 * * * * *0 * * * 7812
> -/+ buffers/cache: * * * *143 * * * 7857
> Swap: * * * * 4761 * * * * 42 * * * 4719
>
> Please suggest.

Not much to add, you have 8GB of memory in the system, just as you should :)

--
Aurélien Naldi

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Kaushal Shriyan 02-10-2010 12:23 PM

dmidecode
 
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Aurélien Naldi
<aurelien.naldi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> depending on the ubuntu version, it may be called -server or -pae
>>> BTW, if you are running a 64bit install, it should just work with the
>>> default kernel (AFAIK).
>>>
>>> I'm not familiar with dmidecode output, but it is supposed to be about
>>> hardware capabilities, not software ones. Are you sure this is the
>>> global limit of the system and not the capacity of a single memory
>>> slot ?
>>>
>>
>> free -m
>> * * * * * * total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
>> Mem: * * * * *8001 * * * 7955 * * * * 45 * * * * *0 * * * * *0 * * * 7812
>> -/+ buffers/cache: * * * *143 * * * 7857
>> Swap: * * * * 4761 * * * * 42 * * * 4719
>>
>> Please suggest.
>
> Not much to add, you have 8GB of memory in the system, just as you should :)
>
> --
> Aurélien Naldi
>
Hi,

I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box supports" using
dmidecode ? is that possible to find out.

Thanks,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Kaushal Shriyan 02-10-2010 03:02 PM

dmidecode
 
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Aurélien Naldi
> <aurelien.naldi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> depending on the ubuntu version, it may be called -server or -pae
>>>> BTW, if you are running a 64bit install, it should just work with the
>>>> default kernel (AFAIK).
>>>>
>>>> I'm not familiar with dmidecode output, but it is supposed to be about
>>>> hardware capabilities, not software ones. Are you sure this is the
>>>> global limit of the system and not the capacity of a single memory
>>>> slot ?
>>>>
>>>
>>> free -m
>>> * * * * * * total * * * used * * * free * * shared * *buffers * * cached
>>> Mem: * * * * *8001 * * * 7955 * * * * 45 * * * * *0 * * * * *0 * * * 7812
>>> -/+ buffers/cache: * * * *143 * * * 7857
>>> Swap: * * * * 4761 * * * * 42 * * * 4719
>>>
>>> Please suggest.
>>
>> Not much to add, you have 8GB of memory in the system, just as you should :)
>>
>> --
>> Aurélien Naldi
>>
> Hi,
>
> I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box supports" using
> dmidecode ? is that possible to find out.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kaushal
>
Hi Again

Any updates for my query to this mailing list ?

I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box running Ubuntu
Server 8.04 supports" using dmidecode ? is that possible to find out
without consulting the manufacturer ?

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Wes Hardin 02-10-2010 03:31 PM

dmidecode
 
On 02/10/2010 10:02 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box running Ubuntu
> Server 8.04 supports" using dmidecode ? is that possible to find out
> without consulting the manufacturer ?

I use a tool called memconf which gives this information.

You can get memconf from

http://www.4schmidts.com/unix.html

It gives output like this:

hostname: manhack
Hewlett-Packard HP Z600 Workstation (2 X Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5520 @ 2.27GHz)
Memory Error Correction: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Memory: 24576MB (24GB)
CPU0 DIMM1: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU0 DIMM2: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU0 DIMM3: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU1 DIMM1: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU1 DIMM2: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
CPU1 DIMM3: 2048MB 1333MHz (0.8ns) Synchronous DIMM, Hynix Semiconductor
(Hyundai Electronics) HMT125U7AFP8C-H9
empty memory sockets: None
total memory = 12288MB (12GB)

It also has a verbose mode which gives basic OS info (distro, arch, kernel). It
puts all relevant information I typically need in one easily human digestable
format, so I hardly use other utilities anymore.

I've used it on Solaris and Linux for a long time. Not entirely sure how it
gets this information, but it's written in perl, so you should be able to dig
out it's methodology. It appears to be using dmidecode though, so if you still
wanted just plain dmidecode, it appears you probably can do that.

--
/* Wes Hardin */

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Andy Smith 02-12-2010 05:32 AM

dmidecode
 
Hi Kaushal,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 06:53:31PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box supports" using
> dmidecode ? is that possible to find out.

I have had dmidecode output be wrong/misleading before. I usually
get the motherboard model number from dmidecode and then consult the
motherboard manual and/or crucial.com to see what is supported.

Cheers,
Andy

--
http://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting
--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Kaushal Shriyan 02-12-2010 05:49 AM

dmidecode
 
On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> Hi Kaushal,
>
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 06:53:31PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> I was interested in "How much Max Memory my san Box supports" using
>> dmidecode ? is that possible to find out.
>
> I have had dmidecode output be wrong/misleading before. *I usually
> get the motherboard model number from dmidecode and then consult the
> motherboard manual and/or crucial.com to see what is supported.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Thanks Andy. That pretty much explained.

Thanks,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:41 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.