Old 02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Chuck Short

Default PHP 5.3 for Lucid

Hi

Recenty the Debian PHP 5.3 packages entered unstable, which means that
the next release of Debian will have PHP 5.3 for their next release.
This means that Ubuntu would be the last modern distrobution that I know
would still being 5.2

What this means to Ubuntu is the following:

If we stay with PHP 5.2:
* The status quo remains but we diverge from Debian, which means we are
maintaining or own version.
* If PHP applications synchronize from Debian we still have to make
them work with PHP 5.
* More stability

If we move to PHP 5.3:
* The debian maintainers are relaying on the individual package
maintainers to do the transition, which means some applications (such as
drupal, joomla, etc) can break
* We synchronize with Debian more easily.
* Easier PHP maintenance for the Ubuntu Server Team.

Note: its not possible to install php 5.2 and 5.3 side by side.

Quite frankly Im still sitting on the fence with this and want to
solicit people's opinions on the subject.

Regards
chuck

Old 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Kees Cook

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:59:54AM -0500, Chuck Short wrote:
> Quite frankly Im still sitting on the fence with this and want to
> solicit people's opinions on the subject.

Given that people could use Lucid for 5 years, I'd rather support the
future than the past. I'm in strong favor of PHP 5.3.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

Old 02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Ralph Janke

PHP 5.3 has several major additions in regards to namespace, and
overloading for static methods of classes. It would be very detrimental
to take those important features away from Ubuntu.

I absolutely am in favor of PHP 5.3

- Ralph (txwikinger)

Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Adam Conrad

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:20:28PM -0500, Ralph Janke wrote:
> PHP 5.3 has several major additions in regards to namespace, and
> overloading for static methods of classes. It would be very detrimental
> to take those important features away from Ubuntu.

I couldn't care less about features, really, stable releases are all
about being feature-stable, not feature-spiffy, but from a security
perspective, the 5.3.x branch will keep seeing updates for many years to
come, while the 5.2.x branch will die a miserable death long before
Lucid does.

So, for pure supportability reasons, 5.3.x seems like the much saner
future-proof option.

... Adam

Old 02-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Steven Harms

I am in strong support of 5.3, however out of pure curiosity what
blocks packaging php like python, ie php5.2, php5.3 etc and using the
alternatives system?

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Chuck Short <zulcss@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Recenty the Debian PHP 5.3 packages entered unstable, which means that
> the next release of Debian will have PHP 5.3 for their next release.
> This means that Ubuntu would be the last modern distrobution that I know
> would still being 5.2
>
> What this means to Ubuntu is the following:
>
> If we stay with PHP 5.2:
> ** The status quo remains but we diverge from Debian, which means we are
> maintaining or own version.
> ** If PHP applications synchronize from Debian we still have to make
> them work with PHP 5.
> ** More stability
>
> If we move to PHP 5.3:
> ** The debian maintainers are relaying on the individual package
> maintainers to do the transition, which means some applications (such as
> drupal, joomla, etc) can break
> ** We synchronize with Debian more easily.
> ** Easier PHP maintenance for the Ubuntu Server Team.
>
> Note: its not possible to install php 5.2 and 5.3 side by side.
>
> Quite frankly Im still sitting on the fence with this and want to
> solicit people's opinions on the subject.
>
> Regards
> chuck

GPG Key ID: C92EF367 / 1428 FE8E 1E07 DDA8 EFD7 195F DCCD F5B3 C92E F367

WWW: http://www.sharms.org/blog

Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Steve Langasek

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:59:54AM -0500, Chuck Short wrote:

> Recenty the Debian PHP 5.3 packages entered unstable, which means that
> the next release of Debian will have PHP 5.3 for their next release.

This is not a given. Any number of issues could block php 5.3 from
reaching Debian testing before the squeeze release; I think if you're going
to treat this as a given in Debian, you should either speak with the Debian
release team about it, or wait until php 5.3 is actually in testing.

Cheers,
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Steve Langasek

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:58:22PM -0500, Steven Harms wrote:
> I am in strong support of 5.3, however out of pure curiosity what
> blocks packaging php like python, ie php5.2, php5.3 etc and using the
> alternatives system?

Sanity?

First, python doesn't use the alternatives system at all for /usr/bin/python
(and should never do so).

Second, python minor versions are packaged in parallel because the bytecode
for pure python modules is incompatible from one revision to the next. If
this were not an issue, I don't think we would spend all the energy that we
do providing multiple 2.x versions of python.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Eric Peters

I couldn't of said it better Adam 5.3 has my vote

Also PHP 5.3 is not in Debian test yet!
http://packages.debian.org/testing/php/

But it's in experimental, and call for testing is still going on, it might be a bit before we see it in "test"

http://osdir.com/ml/php-general/2009-07/msg00040.html

Cheers,
Eric

Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Mark Foster

5.3 gets my vote, with an option to install/downgrade to 5.2.

However, if 5.3 is not in testing in time for lucid, it could just be
put in lucid-backports right?
What is the harm with that approach?

--
I hate racists. Mark D. Foster <mark@foster.cc>
http://mark.foster.cc/ | http://www.freegeekseattle.org/

Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Krenar Qehaja

On Tuesday 09 February 2010 18:14:14 Kees Cook wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 11:59:54AM -0500, Chuck Short wrote:
> > Quite frankly Im still sitting on the fence with this and want to
> > solicit people's opinions on the subject.
>
> Given that people could use Lucid for 5 years, I'd rather support the
> future than the past. I'm in strong favor of PHP 5.3.
>
> -Kees

+1 for 5.3.

Regards
--