Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 AM
Eric Hammond

Default Hibernating Ubuntu on EBS boot EC2 instances

Amazon EC2 has the ability to run "EBS boot AMIs" which keep a
persistent root disk[1]. This lets a user shutdown (stop) and boot
(start) a server without losing the contents of the root disk.

There have been a number of people inquiring about the possibility of
enhancing the Ubuntu on EC2 image so that during the stop/start cycle
they can hibernate/resume as an alternative to shutdown/boot.

I see there was some interest a while ago in getting hibernate to work
with Eucalyptus[2].

What steps would need to be taken to propose hibernate support be
investigated for EC2, perhaps in the upcoming "M" cycle since it might
be too late for Lucid?

Technical notes: Since hibernation cannot be done to the EC2 swap
partition (not persistent) and (I think) hibernation cannot be done to a
swap file on an active file system, this probably means that an
additional EBS volume will need to be attached for swap (not difficult)
or the main EBS volume will need to be split into multiple partitions
for root and swap.

[1]http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2009/12/03/amazon-ec2-instances-now-can-boot-from-amazon-ebs/
[2]https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerKarmicCloudPowerManagement

--
Eric Hammond

Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Scott Moser

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Eric Hammond wrote:

> Amazon EC2 has the ability to run "EBS boot AMIs" which keep a
> persistent root disk[1]. This lets a user shutdown (stop) and boot
> (start) a server without losing the contents of the root disk.
>
> There have been a number of people inquiring about the possibility of
> enhancing the Ubuntu on EC2 image so that during the stop/start cycle
> they can hibernate/resume as an alternative to shutdown/boot.
>
> I see there was some interest a while ago in getting hibernate to work
> with Eucalyptus[2].
>
> What steps would need to be taken to propose hibernate support be
> investigated for EC2, perhaps in the upcoming "M" cycle since it might
> be too late for Lucid?

To add something for consideration, the right process is to open a
blueprint. Put some information there, and then we can look at it later.
I agree that this is probably not a lucid thing.

> Technical notes: Since hibernation cannot be done to the EC2 swap
> partition (not persistent) and (I think) hibernation cannot be done to a
> swap file on an active file system, this probably means that an
> additional EBS volume will need to be attached for swap (not difficult)
> or the main EBS volume will need to be split into multiple partitions
> for root and swap.

I've copied John on this, because he likely knows more about this than I
do. However, I think that it may be technically difficult to do this
reliably on ec2. The possibility of changing "hardware" on subsequent
boots seems like it might cause problem. by changing hardware, I mean:
a.) different memory configurations due to --instance-type being changed
b.) uncontrollable changes in hardware on amazon. I've occasionally seen
different memory amounts even within the same instance type. I'm also not
sure if you're ever *guaranteed* to have identical cpu type, which may be
a requirement for hibernation.

Maybe John can help us out. It definitely does sound like a nice feature,
but it would have some limitations.