Old 01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Gunjan Patidar

Default disable sleep on ubuntu server

Hi,

I recently installed a server with ubuntu server 8.04. I'm able to access the web server and can login through ssh remotely.
But after I leave the server idle for about 1 hour. I can no longer ssh or access the web server.

When i physically go to the server the monitor is blank, when I tap the keyboard it lights up but appache and ssh are still not working (althogh the service status is running). I have to restart the machine to get them back up running

How can I disable all power management on the machine so that it is always on. Any help is appreciated.
Regards
--
Gunjan Patidar
www.foodiebay.com

Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

Gunjan Patidar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a server with ubuntu server 8.04. I'm able to
> access the web server and can login through ssh remotely.
I dont think ubuntu server has power management options by default,
probably your monitor is "energy star" .

Probably a firewall cutting down idle connections? did you try to
establish a connection from the server to another host?
Bad network card? did you read dmesg/kernel log?

Some nic drivers has watchdog functions or like that and after a idle
time the interface is disabled (down status),

You need to do more debuging and provide more information, basic network
troubleshouting tools like ifconfig, ethtool, ping, and of course
reading the logs will help to diagnose this problem.

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México

Old 01-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Eberhard Roloff

On 01/27/2010 04:04 PM, Gunjan Patidar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed a server with ubuntu server 8.04. I'm able to
> access the web server and can login through ssh remotely.
> But after I leave the server idle for about 1 hour. I can no longer ssh
> or access the web server.
> When i physically go to the server the monitor is blank, when I tap the
> keyboard it lights up but appache and ssh are still not working (althogh
> the service status is running). I have to restart the machine to get
> them back up running
>
> How can I disable all power management on the machine so that it is
> always on. Any help is appreciated.

Ensure that all Powermanagement Settings in your machine's
BIOS are disabled.

Kind regards
Eberhard