-   -   Ubuntu Server update for Lucid Alpha3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/313469-ubuntu-server-update-lucid-alpha3.html)

Jos Boumans 01-22-2010 02:51 PM

Ubuntu Server update for Lucid Alpha3

Hi,

this week the Lucid Alpha3 development phase has started. So in
following our Alpha2 announcement, below is what's on the horizon
for Alpha3; some of these are new blueprints for Alpha3, some are
continued work from Alpha2.

You can find the full release schedule for Lucid here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

== Alpha3 Projects ==

Since the upcoming release is an LTS, a lot of this cycles work is
centered around stability. Currently, we're broadly targeting the
following 3 areas:

* Software integration:
* Eucalyptus 1.6.2 [1]
* Moving from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 [2]
* Provide libraries in PHP/Python/Perl for AWS services[5]

* Improving our UEC & EC2 experience
* Integrating Puppet & Etckeeper[3][4]
* Provide boothooks & user based configuration [6][7]

* QA & testing:
* UEC tests [9]
* Automated server tests [10]
* Bug squashing [11]
* Apport hooks [12]
* Daily builds for server packages [19]
* The Server Papercuts project [20][21]

There are also a few community driven specs which are targeted
for the Lucid release:

* Asterisk Integration [15]
* Ubuntu Cluster Stack [16]
* Ubuntu Server Containers (LXC, OpenVZ) [17]
* Integration of Amavisd-new, Spamassassin, and Clamav [18]

The full list of blueprints related to these targets and our progress
can be found on the server team wiki here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ReleaseStatus

or on our work item tracker here:

http://people.canonical.com/~pitti/workitems/canonical-server-
lucid-alpha-3.html

== Feedback & Involvement ==

* If you have any suggestions for AWS libraries in PHP/Perl/Python
or are interested in packaging/contributing a library in another
language, please let us know in the RFC thread[23]

* To make the most of our Server Papercuts project[20], please
participate in the email discussion[21] and nominate papercuts
and/or volunteer to fix them!

* To help us track down bugs and crashes better, we're adding apport
hooks to several key pieces of software. If you'd like to implement
any of those hooks or contribute your own, please let us know in
the blueprint[12]

* The annual Ubuntu Server Survey[13] has been published and we would
love your feedback. It should be available until the end of
January.

* The Ubuntu Cluster Stack spec[16] has issued a call for testing[22]
and would love to hear about your experiences.

As always, you can find the team on #ubuntu-server on irc.freenode.net
if you'd like to ask a question or contribute and/or attend our weekly
public meetings[14].

On behalf of the Ubuntu Server team,

--Jos

[1] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
eucalyptus-merging-and-packaging
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-mysql-5.0
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-puppet-
uec-ec2-integration
[4] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-puppet-
etckeeper-integration
[5] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-aws-
client-libraries
[6] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
ec2-boothook
[7] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
ec2-config
[9] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
uec-testing
[10] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/qa-lucid-
automated-server-testing
[11] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ReleaseStatus#Bugs
[12] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
apport-hooks
[13] http://survey.ubuntu.com/index.php?sid=92259
[14] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting
[15] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
asterisk-integration
[16] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
cluster-stack
[17] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
contextualization
[18] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-more-
mail-integration
[19] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-daily-
vcs
[20] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-
papercuts
[21] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2010-January/
003613.html
[22] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2010-January/
003615.html
[23] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-ec2/2010-January/
001254.html

Etienne Goyer 01-23-2010 01:04 AM

Ubuntu Server update for Lucid Alpha3

If I may ...

Although I have not been contributing a lot, I have been following the
server team progress quite closely in the past three and a half years. I
have to say that lucid have been the most productive and vibrant
development cycle so far. Lots of stuff I care about are progressing
nicely, and the community member involvement have really been picking up
and showing.

Go server team!

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

Nicolas Barcet 01-23-2010 01:54 PM

On 01/22/2010 04:51 PM, Jos Boumans wrote:
> * The annual Ubuntu Server Survey[13] has been published and we would
> love your feedback. It should be available until the end of
> January.

Sorry, but this last one was closed on Friday. For those whom may have
missed this edition, please come back next year.

Nick

Ante Karamatić 01-23-2010 04:52 PM

On 22.01.2010 16:51, Jos Boumans wrote:

> * Integration of Amavisd-new, Spamassassin, and Clamav [18]

There's a progress on this front. Source (amavisd-new) and packages
(probably soon) are on my PPA:

https://edge.launchpad.net/~ivoks/+archive/ppa

Testing and comments are welcome!