-   -   No X version of notify-reboot-required (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/309744-no-x-version-notify-reboot-required.html)

Brian McKee 01-15-2010 01:16 PM

No X version of notify-reboot-required

Had a thought - somebody tell me why I'm wrong.

Can we make a 'notify-reboot-required' lite for systems without X?

The update-notifier package has a lot of gnome etc depencies and isn't
appropriate, but
looking at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-794082.html it
seems like the package scripts just check for
/usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required

Why couldn't we put a simple script in that spot instead that touched
/var/run/reboot-required and maybe added a notice to the motd?

Comments?

Brian

Brian McKee 01-15-2010 01:43 PM

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> */usr/share/update-notifier/notify-reboot-required
> Why couldn't we put a simple script in that spot instead that touched
> /var/run/reboot-required and maybe added a notice to the motd?

Well, what do you know, it is a simple shell script that does just that now....

Why can't we package just that part as update-notifier for systems without X?

Brian

Nicolas Barcet 01-15-2010 01:44 PM

On 01/15/2010 03:16 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
> Why couldn't we put a simple script in that spot instead that touched
> /var/run/reboot-required and maybe added a notice to the motd?

It's been there since 8.10 as part of the landscape package motd
display, IIRC. It is even nicer if you run byobu as you'll be informed
through an "icon" on the status bar, showing also the number of update
that have to be applied and whether some are security updates.

Nick

Paul Elliott 01-22-2010 06:16 AM

No X version of notify-reboot-required

Hi Brian,

Brian McKee wrote:
> Can we make a 'notify-reboot-required' lite for systems without X?
<snip>
> Comments?

This is related, although not directly to a patch I'm planning on
submitting to unattended-upgrades.

We have a number of systems that we use unattended-upgrades on as for
one reason or another we don't particularly mind if the system breaks
after an upgrade. The problem we had though is that these systems used
to sit around for a while with reboots pending. Rather than use the
automatic reboot option of unattended-upgrades I added a small patch to
add a '[reboot required]' message to the subject line of emails sent by
the unattended-upgrades script. This way the sys admin(s) of the servers
in question can schedule reboots at their convenience.

My original patch can be found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/415202

If any interest is shown I plan on adding a toggle option to
50unattended-upgrades with the option disabled by default to prevent any
possible breakage by the change in subject line formatting. (Might as
well fix bug #510555[1] too).

Would other people be interested in this patch in Lucid?

[1]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unattended-upgrades/+bug/510555

--
Paul Elliott, UNIX Systems Administrator
Computing Service, University of York

Kenyon Ralph 01-22-2010 06:38 AM

On 2010-01-15T09:16:13-0500, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we make a 'notify-reboot-required' lite for systems without X?

Are you aware of checkrestart from the debian-goodies package? It's even
better than a simple "reboot needed: yes or no?", because it tells you
which processes are using old versions of files and lists their init.d
scripts so you can restart them. Only for upgrades of certain major
packages do you really need to reboot (e.g., kernel, libc, binutils),
and you'll be able to tell with checkrestart because there will be a lot
of listed processes.

--
Kenyon Ralph

Brian McKee 01-22-2010 07:21 PM

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Kenyon Ralph <kenyon@kenyonralph.com> wrote:
> On 2010-01-15T09:16:13-0500, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Can we make a 'notify-reboot-required' lite for systems without X?
> Are you aware of checkrestart from the debian-goodies package? It's even
> better than a simple "reboot needed: yes or no?", because it tells you
> which processes are using old versions of files and lists their init.d
> scripts so you can restart them. Only for upgrades of certain major
> packages do you really need to reboot (e.g., kernel, libc, binutils),
> and you'll be able to tell with checkrestart because there will be a lot
> of listed processes.

No, I've never seen that one before - I'll have to look at it. Thanks!

Brian

Dustin Kirkland 01-27-2010 09:03 PM

No X version of notify-reboot-required

As Nick mentioned, try "byobu".

It's a nicer, friendlier, customized GNU screen session.

At the bottom of the screen, it will show you a regularly updated
indicator, showing the number of updates available for your system,
and (R) if a reboot is required (among other interesting system data).

:-Dustin

"Nikolai K. Bochev" 02-07-2010 10:41 AM

No X version of notify-reboot-required

Maybe i am missing something here, but as far as i can tell i get notifications about required restarts in the motd when i log in to a server.