Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Scott Moser

Default ubuntu-server meeting minutes from 2010-01-13

Hello All,

Here are the minutes of this week's meeting. They can also be found
online with the irc logs from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/
.

== Agenda ==
* Review ACTION points from previous meeting (jib)
* Alpha2 milestone (ttx)
* Alpha2 blueprints status
* [[https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+bugs?field.milestone=21444|Alpha2-targeted]] bugs status
* ISO testing
* Alpha3 subcycle planning (jib)
* [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-papercuts|server-lucid-papercuts]] (ttx)
* Discuss nomination mechanism
* [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-apport-hooks|server-lucid-apport-hooks]] (ttx)
* Community input & volunteers
* Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs: [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html]] (ttx)
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (soren)
* Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen)
* Bug Bug:494565
* Weekly SRU review: [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/KnowledgeBase#SRU%20weekly%20review]] (mathiaz)
* Using bzr for package maintenance (zul)
* Open Discussion
* Agree on next meeting date and time

== Minutes ==

=== Review ACTION points from previous meeting ===
* '[ACTION]' ScottMoser to look at getting Karmic images refreshed.
EricHammond did test runs on the recent karmic dailies.

=== Alpha2 milestone ===
* Reviewed Status of work items targted to milestone
* jib is working with IS on getting central hardware for testing. This
wont be done for alpha2. work item deferred.
* '[ACTION]' Mathiaz to send out AWS Client lib RFC
* '[ACTION]': ttx to coordinate alpha ISO testing.

=== Alpha3 subcycle planning (jib) ===
* We are collecting feedback for alpha 3 planning. The list of
candidates can be seen
[[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/~jib/+specs?role=approver|here]] .
Preleminary workitems list can be seen at
[[http://macaroni.ubuntu.com/~pitti/workitems/canonical-server-lucid-alpha-3.html|canonical-server-lucid-alpha-3]]

=== Community Driven Blueprints (jib) ===
==== server-lucid-cluster-stack ====
* ivoks has made good progress on update server-lucid-cluster-stack
with beta quality packages available, and on rack for alpha3.
* ivoks gave some thoughts on the red hat cluster suite in ubuntu .
ivoks suggested that pacemaker is what should be pushed for lucid,
and said "i wouldn't mind demoting rhcs to universe, even though we
don't get pacemaker in main"

==== server-lucid-asterisk-integration ====
* items has been targeted to alpha3
* stgraber expects to have new dahdi packages and MIR ready for alpha3
* jmdault will update work itesm

=== Alpha3 blueprints that request community feedback ===
==== server-lucid-papercuts ====
* ttx described the papercuts nominatoin mechanism, the nominiation
mechanism chosen was 'project' as opposed to 'tag'
* '[ACTION]' ttx for papercuts: discuss acceptance criteria,
project publicity plan
* '[ACTION]' Mathiaz to publish papercuts & apport efforts in our
blog/community channels

==== server-lucid-apport-hooks ====
* zull will drive this item, and we'll talk about this next meeting.

=== Assigned and to-be-assigned bugs ===
* [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/team-assigned/canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html|canonical-server-assigned-bug-tasks.html]]
* action zul/kirkland in trimming their list

=== Weekly Updates & Questions for the QA Team (soren) ===
* We need help to get through the list of ISOs to test
* '[ACTION]' mathias to publish request for iso testing in our
regular blog/community channels
* soren pointed out that some of the test cases are slightly outdated
or not complete. We should get these updated. Please update as you
go through.
* soren is running automated tests of the default install, the bind9
test case, the lamp test caes, and the mail test case on i386 and
amd64

=== Weekly Updates & Questions for the Kernel Team (jjohansen) ===
* Bug:494565 is on jjohansen's list for next week.
* kernel was frozen on friday and most changes were in thursday
* [[https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-other-cloud-providers|server-lucid-other-cloud-providers]]
is targetted for alpha3, there could be kernel issues running on
rackspace's environment

=== server-lucid-aws-client-libraries ===
* jib added the perl modlues to the wiki, nijaba recomments tarzan for
PHP
* perl/python/php packages will be targeted for alpha3. other
languages likely out unless esily packagable or community efforts

=== Weekly SRU review ===
* [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ubuntu-server-team/fixedbugs.ubuntu-server.latest.html|fixedbugs.ubuntu-server.latest.html]]
* Bug:379329 is only one nominated for this week.
* Bug:462749 accepted for karmic

=== Using bzr for package maintenance (zul) ===
* [[DistributedDevelopment/Documentation]]
* mathiaz responded to smoser's question, suggesting that after your
"done" with a single fix branch you can mark it merged in the
launchpad UI. That will then have it not shown on your default list,
but is possibly better than deleting it.
* zul (and others) want to encourage people more to use bzr branches.

=== Open Discussion ===
* mail-stack blueprint was formally re-assigned to ivoks (from ScotK).
ivoks suggests that all except debconf integration should be doable
for alpha3. If it can't be handled there, it would need a
* FeatureFreeze Exception.