Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Mathias Gug

Default RFC: Amazon Web Services client libraries

Hi,

I'm looking for feedback on which AWS client libraries should be made available
as part of Ubuntu. Making it easy to develop applications that use AWS and UEC
services is one of the goal of the Ubuntu Server team. The AWS client libraries
blueprint [1] focuses on listing existing projects and then choose which ones
should be packaged for Lucid.

[1]: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-aws-client-libraries

If you know of great projects in PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, Java (or any other
platform) that help using AWS and UEC services such as EC2 or S3 make a note of
them in the wiki page [2] (preferred choice) or by replying to this email
thread.

[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AWSClientLibraries

Thanks,

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Elijah Wright

The bundle of bits from amazon (which are java based) is pretty critical to have easily available and under maintenance / update policy.

[Anyone tried running them with openjdk, incidentally?* I know they work perfectly with the Sun JDK bits, but would love to hear reports of them working well with an all-free-and-no-sun-involved stack.]

The ruby gems would also be pretty crucial, as they enable folks to programmatically interact with spinups and implement quite a lot of tweaky/touchy functionality.* [Folks using puppet or chef to manage cloud instances are quite likely to install them, whether they're packaged "officially" or not.]

I think there are some python bits (boto?) which I've also heard are in fairly wide use.

--e