-   -   Ubuntu Server Guide and LDAP multi-master replication (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/308925-ubuntu-server-guide-ldap-multi-master-replication.html)

Etienne Goyer 01-13-2010 06:41 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide and LDAP multi-master replication

Hello everyone,

I recently noticed in the OpenLDAP section of the Ubuntu Server Guide
that we suggest people configure replication in multi-master mode (MMR).
I respectfully disagree with that, and would like to discuss whether we
should document single-master replication instead.

Smarter people that I have argued[1] against MMR through and thorough.
While MMR can prove useful in certain circumstance (ie, HA), it is not
generally useful and can even lead to unforeseen problems. Plus, the
standard directory model of single-master replication scales better.

So, is there a good reason why we should continue to document (and
hence, implicitly recommend) MMR first and foremost?

[1]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zeilenga-ldup-harmful-02

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

Etienne Goyer 01-13-2010 06:51 PM

Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Smarter people that I have argued[1] against MMR ...

That really should have read: "Smarter people *than* I ...". Otherwise,
the sense is completely warped. :D

Damn caffeine makes me dyslexic.

Matt Kassawara 01-13-2010 07:01 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide and LDAP multi-master replication

I think the documentation should cover both configurations and let the reader decide which to pursue. *While MMR involving more than two systems can become complicated and may cause obscure problems especially for new users, MMR on two systems works quite well with a fairly simple configuration and tends reduce complexity of methods used to provide redundancy (e.g., Linux-HA).

Etienne Goyer 01-13-2010 07:20 PM

Matt Kassawara wrote:
> MMR on two systems works quite well with a fairly simple
> configuration and tends reduce complexity of methods used to provide
> redundancy (e.g., Linux-HA).

This is where I disagree: I do not think MMR is useful for the common
scenario, and actually has drawbacks (and, yes, add complexity too). I
am not *against* documenting MMR, but we should steer users toward the
standard directory model first and foremost.

HA is a completely different topic, and not one the guide try to address
in that section. At least, not in its current form.

Adam Sommer 01-13-2010 07:29 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide and LDAP multi-master replication

Hello,

This is where I disagree: I do not think MMR is useful for the common

scenario, and actually has drawbacks (and, yes, add complexity too). *I

am not *against* documenting MMR, but we should steer users toward the

standard directory model first and foremost.

HA is a completely different topic, and not one the guide try to address

in that section. *At least, not in its current form.

I agree with you Etienne, and it's on my TODO list to update the OpenLDAP section with instructions for a master/slave replication setup.* Also, I believe there is a somewhat recent bug suggesting just that.

We could move, after improving if needed, the MMR instructions to the wiki to help those that prefer that setup.* I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work on it this week, but any* and all patches are very welcome :-).

--
Party On,
Adam

Adam Sommer 03-08-2010 12:43 PM

Ubuntu Server Guide and LDAP multi-master replication

Hello,
I've changed the Server Guide to use a Single-Master replication method. *You can see the draft version here:
**http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/openldap-server.html

All feedback is greatly appreciated. *
The TLS Replication instructions still need to be adjusted, but I should be able to get to that today.

Thanks.
--
Party On,
Adam