Old 01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Douglas Stanley

Default Question about CLVM

Hello list,

I hope this is an appropriate list for this type of question.

I'm about to set up some fail over VM hosts using KVM. I've got a
shared iscsi disk, and I was hoping
to use something like CLVM so that two hosts can have direct access to
the same volume group at the
same time (accessing different logical volumes of course).

However, when I started looking into CLVM, I noticed it requires the
redhat-cluster stack, of which I'm not
much of a fan.

So, is there an alternative to CLVM which doesn't involve
redhat-cluster suite? Or is redhat-cluster suite
and CLVM the preferred method for shared volume management in ubuntu?

Thanks,
Doug

Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Mat

I've never actually had the opportunity to test this out yet so I may
dead wrong, but what you're trying to do sounds like it could be
accomplished with an LVM GFS and iSCSI stack. GFS being the shared disk
file system that can be access by multiple machines via iSCSI.

MatOC

Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Ante Karamatić

On 12.01.2010 23:41, Mat wrote:

> I've never actually had the opportunity to test this out yet so I may
> dead wrong, but what you're trying to do sounds like it could be
> accomplished with an LVM GFS and iSCSI stack. GFS being the shared disk
> file system that can be access by multiple machines via iSCSI.

Notice that for GFS you'll need redhat cluster suite. There's another
clustered file system that doesn't require cluster manager - OCFS2.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Douglas Stanley

I'm not at all interested in clustered filesystems. I'm only
interested in a clustered volume management
solution.

I already know about clvm and it's need for redhat's suite...I'm just
wondering if there's an alternative.
I thought I read somewhere about EVMS supporting clustering natively.
But I know nothing about it,
so I don't know if it just uses CLVM underneath.

Anyway, is there any alternative to CLVM + redhat cluster suite, or is
that the more or less standard way?

Thanks,
Doug

Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Sander van Vugt

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 09:10 -0500, Douglas Stanley wrote:
> I'm not at all interested in clustered filesystems. I'm only
> interested in a clustered volume management
> solution.
>
> I already know about clvm and it's need for redhat's suite...I'm just
> wondering if there's an alternative.
> I thought I read somewhere about EVMS supporting clustering natively.
> But I know nothing about it,
> so I don't know if it just uses CLVM underneath.
>
> Anyway, is there any alternative to CLVM + redhat cluster suite, or is
> that the more or less standard way?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Don't flame me please for talking about another Linux distro, but I've
got it implemented using Pacemaker (www.clusterlabs.org) on SUSE. I have
no idea if Pacemaker is in the latest Ubuntu server also - I've had it's
predecessor Heartbeat running on 8.10 though. Fact is, to do cLVM, you
do need a cluster solution. In my opinion, pacemaker is the more open
solution. If you're interested, I can send you a short document that
gives a generic overview of what you need - please let me know that by
private mail if you'd like to have it.

-Sander