Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default Stable Release Update for Spamassassin

As many of you who run Spamassassin already know, there is a bug (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/502071 for details) in
Spamassassin where all mails sent in 2010 are tripping the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
rule.

For some sites, this may cause all mail that is not explicitly whitelisted to
get marked spam (it's a relatively heavily scored rule). This is already fixed
in hardy-backports and lucid. It does not affect the packaged versions of
spamassassin in dapper or dapper-backports.

There are proposed updates for hardy, intrepid, jaunty, and karmic that need
testing. They are all built or building now and should be available in the *-
proposed repository. Please test and comment in the bug so we can get these
out to *-updates as soon as possible. See the bug for details.

Scott K

Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Eric Hammond

Scott:

Thanks for the notice. I hadn't heard this anywhere else.

I added the following to my spamassassin prefs as a workaround:

score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0

When I get a bit more time, I'll test -proposed. Do you know when this
might get into -updates?

--
Eric Hammond

Old 01-03-2010, 01:58 PM
"Scott Kitterman"

> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> As many of you who run Spamassassin already know, there is a bug (see
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/502071 for details) in
>> Spamassassin where all mails sent in 2010 are tripping the
>> FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
>> rule.
>>
>> For some sites, this may cause all mail that is not explicitly
>> whitelisted to
>> get marked spam (it's a relatively heavily scored rule). This is
>> already fixed
>> in hardy-backports and lucid. It does not affect the packaged versions
>> of
>> spamassassin in dapper or dapper-backports.
>>
>> There are proposed updates for hardy, intrepid, jaunty, and karmic that
>> need
>> testing. They are all built or building now and should be available in
>> the *-
>> proposed repository. Please test and comment in the bug so we can get
>> these
>> out to *-updates as soon as possible. See the bug for details.
> Scott:
>
> Thanks for the notice. I hadn't heard this anywhere else.
>
> I added the following to my spamassassin prefs as a workaround:
>
> score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0
>
> When I get a bit more time, I'll test -proposed. Do you know when this
> might get into -updates?
>
> --
> Eric Hammond

It's in -updates for Hardy and Karmic now (also fixed in Lucid). Intrepid
and Jaunty need testing yet (it'd be really nice if someone has a spare VM
laying around if they could verify these so we can close the books on this
for another decade).

Scott K

Old 01-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Imre Gergely

I think it's already in -updates.

root@voy:/store# apt-cache policy spamassassin
spamassassin:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 3.2.5-4ubuntu0.1
Version table:
3.2.5-4ubuntu0.1 0
500 http://voy karmic-updates/main Packages
3.2.5-4 0
500 http://voy karmic/main Packages

Your mail to the list seems to be delayed by 24 hours or so.

--
Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959

Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> As many of you who run Spamassassin already know, there is a bug (see
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/502071 for details) in
> Spamassassin where all mails sent in 2010 are tripping the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
> rule.

Description about the issue and fixes in the SA main page:
http://spamassassin.apache.org/

For those uses who can't upgrade their SA version you can always run
sa-update (if you aren't) and download the fixed rule.

sa-update: http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México

Old 01-04-2010, 08:48 PM
"Scott Kitterman"

> On 01/03/2010 01:50 PM, Eric Hammond wrote:
>> Scott:
>>
>> Thanks for the notice. I hadn't heard this anywhere else.
>>
>> I added the following to my spamassassin prefs as a workaround:
>>
>> score FH_DATE_PAST_20XX 0
>>
>> When I get a bit more time, I'll test -proposed. Do you know when this
>> might get into -updates?
>>
>> --
>> Eric Hammond
>>

>> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> As many of you who run Spamassassin already know, there is a bug (see
>>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hardy-backports/+bug/502071 for details) in
>>> Spamassassin where all mails sent in 2010 are tripping the
>>> FH_DATE_PAST_20XX
>>> rule.
>>>
>>> For some sites, this may cause all mail that is not explicitly
>>> whitelisted to
>>> get marked spam (it's a relatively heavily scored rule). This is
>>> already fixed
>>> in hardy-backports and lucid. It does not affect the packaged versions
>>> of
>>> spamassassin in dapper or dapper-backports.
>>>
>>> There are proposed updates for hardy, intrepid, jaunty, and karmic that
>>> need
>>> testing. They are all built or building now and should be available in
>>> the *-
>>> proposed repository. Please test and comment in the bug so we can get
>>> these
>>> out to *-updates as soon as possible. See the bug for details.
>>>
>>> Scott K
>
> I think it's already in -updates.
>
> root@voy:/store# apt-cache policy spamassassin
> spamassassin:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: 3.2.5-4ubuntu0.1
> Version table:
> 3.2.5-4ubuntu0.1 0
> 500 http://voy karmic-updates/main Packages
> 3.2.5-4 0
> 500 http://voy karmic/main Packages

It is. The fix is published in -updates for Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and
Karmic (Dapper was not affected). The backport in hardy-backports is also
fixed. It's done all the way around.

Thank you to those who helped with fixing and testing. Getting fixed
uploaded, tested, and released for 5 releases (I fixed Lucid too) in two
days is pretty good I think.

Scott K