Old 12-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Michael Hipp

Default How do I refill /boot/grub?

To make a long story short ...

- Something wonky with /boot/grub directory on /dev/md0 device
- Boot live cd, create /dev/md0 with /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 in raid1
- Do e2fsck -f -p /dev/md0
- Says something about clearing unused inode in menu.lst
- Now /boot/grub directory is *empty* except for 'grubenv' file (no images, no stage1, etc.)

Needless to say, system unbootable.

How do I "refill" the /boot/grub directory?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 12-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Lionel Porcheron

Hi Michael,

Michael Hipp a écrit :
> To make a long story short ...
>
> - Something wonky with /boot/grub directory on /dev/md0 device
> - Boot live cd, create /dev/md0 with /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 in raid1
> - Do e2fsck -f -p /dev/md0
> - Says something about clearing unused inode in menu.lst
> - Now /boot/grub directory is *empty* except for 'grubenv' file (no
> images, no stage1, etc.)
>
> Needless to say, system unbootable.
>
> How do I "refill" the /boot/grub directory?

You can:

cp -a /usr/lib/grub/*-pc/* /boot/grub
update-grub

Your system should be bootable again.

Lionel

Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Michael Hipp

Thanks Lionel. Hope it turns out to be that simple. Will try it as soon as I get back in front of the machine.

Thanks,
Michael