Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM
Jos Boumans

Default Ubuntu Server update for Lucid Alpha2 & beyond

Hi,

as some of you may know, for the Lucid cycle we have taken a slightly
different approach compared to previous release cycles. Rather than
defining the specs for the full cycle, we have reviewed and accepted
blueprints up until Alpha2 only. For work post Alpha2, we'll have
another round of review starting in early January.

You can find the full release schedule for Lucid here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

== Alpha2 Projects ==

Since the upcoming release is an LTS, a lot of this cycles work is
centered around stability. Initially, we're broadly targeting the
following 3 areas:

* Software integration:
* Eucalyptus 1.6.2 [1]
* Landscape 1.4.0 [2]
* Main inclusions/demotions [3][4]
* Server CD size [5]

* Improving our EC2 experience
* Provide boothooks & user based configuration [6][7]
* Ramdiskless kernels [8]

* QA & testing:
* UEC tests [9]
* Automated server tests [10]
* Bug squashing [11]
* Apport hooks [12]

The full list of blueprints related to these targets and our progress
can be found on the server team wiki here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/ReleaseStatus

== Feedback & Involvement ==

Soon it's time for Alpha3, and we would love your input and feedback.
There are a few items that would be specifically interesting to us:

* There are a several blueprints still in discussion for lucid. If you
have any feedback or would like to contribute, please take a look
at the blueprints marked as 'Discussion' here:

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/?searchtext=server-
lucid

* Main promotion/demotion[3] has a mail thread going where we are
collecting feedback from the community. Please chime in!

* To help us track down bugs and crashes better, we're adding apport
hooks to several key pieces of software. If you'd like to implement
any of those hooks or contribute your own, please let us know in
the blueprint[12]

* The annual Ubuntu Server Survey[13] has been published and we would
love your feedback. It should be available until the end of January.

As always, you can find the team on #ubuntu-server on irc.freenode.net
if you'd like to ask a question or contribute and/or attend our weekly
public meetings[14].

On behalf of the Ubuntu Server team,

--Jos

[1] https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-