Old 12-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Mathias Gug

Default RFC: -server packages universe demotions and main promotions

Hi,

The Ubuntu Server team would like to get your feedback on whether the packages
listed below should be demoted to universe or promoted to main.

Since Lucid is an LTS release the Ubuntu Server team conducted a critical
review of the current contents of the server related seeds in order to free
some space on the -server CD and to reduce the number of packages we'll be
maintaining for 5 years. Some packages are not necessary, might be abandoned
and thus should be demoted to universe. Some packages are brought up in main by
recommends while they should just be suggested. Some very useful packages are
missing and should be promoted to main.

The list of packages considered is tracked in a wiki page [1] and included
below. You can either edit the wiki page with your comments or reply to this
thread.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidServerSeeds

== Proposed universe demotion ==

# nis
# elinks
# lm-sensors
# sensord
# cricket
# radvd
# logwatch:
- logcheck provides the same functionality

# vlock
# lilo
# libxp6
# redhat-cluster-suite:
- not properly maintained
# virt-manager:
# backuppc:
- bacula is the backup solution in main

# racoon
# ipsec-tools
# siege
# minicom:
- cu is tiny and trivial to support, but doesn't support error correction
# openssh-blacklist, openssl-blacklist:
- needs further consideration by cjwatson
# analog:
- awstats is also in main - upstream much more active.

# nut-hal-drivers
- see Halsectomy [2]

[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Halsectomy

== Proposed main promotion ==

# oidentd
# tdb-tools:
- for samba cluster
# ctdb:
- for samba cluster
# ctdb:
# acl
# nginx:
- 6.21 percent market share according to Netcraft
# kernel-package: remove from -server iso

== Proposed Recommends downgrades ==

# kernel-package:
- remove from -server iso (stays in main thanks to platform.lucid/supported-development).

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Andreas Hasenack

Old 12-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Brian McKee

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mathias Gug <mathiaz@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The Ubuntu Server team would like to get your feedback on whether the packages
> listed below should be demoted to universe or promoted to main.
> == Proposed universe demotion ==
> *# logwatch:
> * * - logcheck provides the same functionality

I've been using logwatch forever - I'd rather it stayed, but I won't
throw tantrums either way :-)

The logic around backuppc sounds odd - just one backup solution supported?
Or is the premise only one of everything in main?

Brian