Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Dave Walker

Default tftpd-hpa - HPA's tftp server

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> what does hpa means in tftpd-hpa. I know it as highly portable ........ ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kaushal

Hi Kaushal,

It's easy mistake to make that it refers to highly portable <something>,
as you probably know it's a portable version of the BSD tftp server.
It is my understanding that the name actually comes from the nick of the
chap that created it. It is easier to refer to him as hpa, than "ペーテ
ル アンビーン " which is his real name as I understand it.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker

Old 12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Wes Hardin

On 12/03/2009 06:22 AM, Dave Walker wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> what does hpa means in tftpd-hpa. I know it as highly portable ........ ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kaushal
>>

> Hi Kaushal,
>
> It's easy mistake to make that it refers to highly portable<something>,
> as you probably know it's a portable version of the BSD tftp server.
> It is my understanding that the name actually comes from the nick of the
> chap that created it. It is easier to refer to him as hpa, than "ペーテ
> ル アンビーン " which is his real name as I understand it.

I think you're referring to H. Peter Anvin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Peter_Anvin

--
/* Wes Hardin */