Old 12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
John Johansen

Default EC2 kernel status

The Lucid EC2 kernel has now rolled out into the archive, and is in need
of broader testing.

Currently it is using the same basic config as the Karmic EC2 kernel+ ext4,
block loop and virt audio. The configs are going to be revised over the
next couple of weeks as to bring it closer to the virtual kernel configs,
so if there is a particular config/set of configs you would like to see
changed just let me know.

Going forward the other set of changes expected will be the updates for
the 2.6.32 kernel and Xen patch set changes (which tend to lag behind
kernel releases).

If you hit any issues, please ping me either via email, or irc. The sooner
I know of an issue the better. I will also be joining the weekly meetings
so you can catch me there too.

cheers
john

Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Joseph Salisbury

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:19 PM, John Johansen
<john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
> The Lucid EC2 kernel has now rolled out into the archive, and is in need
> of broader testing.
>
> Currently it is using the same basic config as the Karmic EC2 kernel+ ext4,
> block loop and virt audio. *The configs are going to be revised over the
> next couple of weeks as to bring it closer to the virtual kernel configs,
> so if there is a particular config/set of configs you would like to see
> changed just let me know.
>
> Going forward the other set of changes expected will be the updates for
> the 2.6.32 kernel and Xen patch set changes (which tend to lag behind
> kernel releases).
>
> If you hit any issues, please ping me either via email, or irc. *The sooner
> I know of an issue the better. *I will also be joining the weekly meetings
> so you can catch me there too.
>
> cheers
> john

Hi John,

I was just curious, are there a specific set of test cases you would
like to see used? Similar to test cases listed on
testcases.qa.ubuntu.com?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
John Johansen

Joseph Salisbury wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 2:19 PM, John Johansen
> <john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
>> The Lucid EC2 kernel has now rolled out into the archive, and is in need
>> of broader testing.

>snip<

>> --
>>

> Hi John,
>
> I was just curious, are there a specific set of test cases you would
> like to see used? Similar to test cases listed on
> testcases.qa.ubuntu.com?

I don't have any specific tests in mind. I would like to see some general
kernel validation tests like a subset of ltp. But basically we just need
to test these kernels under as many use cases as possible. The EC2CloudImages
test cases are a good start.

The case I know of currently that will probably be problematic is an asterisk
server, and I haven't looked into test cases for this yet. I am not even sure
this is a use case we are going to support. We are currently building for
100Hz kernel but from previous bug reports a 1000Hz kernel may be needed. I say
may because it is just unknown at this time. The kernel has improved on its
response latency and 1000Hz may not be required at all. We just don't know
as this needs testing.

This actually works into a good general question of what Hz do we want for the
EC2 kernel? What uses cases are we targeting, etc. knowing that we can get
a better idea of what tests to do.