-   -   kvm problem on karmic (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/288666-kvm-problem-karmic.html)

Aljoša Mohorović 12-01-2009 12:17 PM

kvm problem on karmic

i have no idea why kvm is not working, any ideas?

# /etc/init.d/kvm restart
(/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic-pae/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-intel.ko):
Operation not supported

system info:
$ uname -a
Linux <HOSTNAME> 2.6.31-15-generic-pae #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10
16:12:10 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
aljosa@muzgavac:~$ egrep '(vmx|svm)' --color=always /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est
tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est
tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow

Aljosa Mohorovic

Alvin 12-01-2009 12:20 PM

kvm problem on karmic

On Tuesday 01 December 2009 14:17:12 Aljoša Mohorović wrote:
> i have no idea why kvm is not working, any ideas?
>
> # /etc/init.d/kvm restart
> (/lib/modules/2.6.31-15-generic-pae/kernel/arch/x86/kvm/kvm-intel.ko):
> Operation not supported
>
> system info:
> $ uname -a
> Linux <HOSTNAME> 2.6.31-15-generic-pae #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10
> 16:12:10 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> aljosa@muzgavac:~$ egrep '(vmx|svm)' --color=always /proc/cpuinfo
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est
> tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
> flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm
> constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est
> tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow

Yes, check for BIOS updates.

Soren Hansen 12-01-2009 12:48 PM

kvm problem on karmic

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 02:17:12PM +0100, Aljoša Mohorović wrote:
> i have no idea why kvm is not working, any ideas?

Look at the last few lines of the output of dmesg. You might need to
enable VT in your BIOS. Please note, that once you make this change,
it's very likely that you have to completely power off your computer and
then power it on again, before you can actually access the VT
extensions. A soft reboot is not sufficient.

--
Soren Hansen |
Lead virtualisation engineer | Ubuntu Server Team

Aljoša Mohorović 12-01-2009 11:03 PM

kvm problem on karmic

Virtualbox works as expected, could there be some other reason why kvm doesn't work?

John Johansen 12-02-2009 05:48 PM

kvm problem on karmic

Aljoša Mohorović wrote:
> Virtualbox works as expected, could there be some other reason why kvm
> doesn't work?

Is virtualbox running in an accelerated mode?

Basically virtual box can run on processors without vt extensions, and kvm can't.

Aljoša Mohorović 12-03-2009 10:45 AM

kvm problem on karmic

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM, John Johansen
<john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
> Is virtualbox running in an accelerated mode?
>
> Basically virtual box can run on processors without vt extensions, and kvm can't.

so i can get excellent performance on average hardware with virtualbox
and should avoid kvm for that.
i could use kvm on dedicated hardware intended for virtualization and
get excellent performance?
is this correct?

Aljosa

p.s.
no FUD intended, only trying to figure out what's my best option

John Johansen 12-03-2009 11:23 AM

kvm problem on karmic

Aljoša Mohorović wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM, John Johansen
> <john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Is virtualbox running in an accelerated mode?
>>
>> Basically virtual box can run on processors without vt extensions, and kvm can't.
>
> so i can get excellent performance on average hardware with virtualbox
> and should avoid kvm for that.
> i could use kvm on dedicated hardware intended for virtualization and
> get excellent performance?
> is this correct?

essentially yes. KVM used to have an acceleration component that would allow it to
work on none vt hardware at reasonable speeds, but it was removed for various reasons.
You could use KVM + qemu but it is not as fast a virtual box on hardware without vt
extension, or you could use vmware which is as fast or even faster than virtual box.

john