Old 11-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Santiago Zarate

Default Interface bonding

Hi!, actually i have few days trying out how to enable interface bonding (http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-bonding.html)
on one of my networks, i actually have only two ethernet interfaces... one is a direct line from the ISP (Adsl), and the
other one is inside my network, so the router is another machine... (Pretty much the same i guess)

What i want... is my server A, load balance both links... this network is not a big one (only 80 Users... ) but on
another one... (another building) i've got arround 700 users... and 7 ADSL lines... and there would be a really big
difference if we could load balance at least 3 links...

I've been working with many guides i've found on the internet... about ifenslave and stuff... but none has worked yet...
tough...

I've seen also balance (http://www.inlab.de/balance.html) but is not what i need...

also... as a side note... when i configure my bond0 device... i dont have any idea of what to use as a gateway...
since... the server A should be going to be the new router... at least for testing....

I'd like some advices here... if anyone has some ideas... before trying something like this:
http://www.firewall.cx/ftopicp-15193.html (Imagine that with... 4 links at least xD)

Thanks in advance!

--
Santiago Zarate
santiago-ve@ubuntu.com

Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Nick Fox

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Santiago Zarate <santiago-ve@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi!, actually i have few days trying out how to enable interface bonding (http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-bonding.html)
> on one of my networks, i actually have only two ethernet interfaces... one is a direct line from the ISP (Adsl), and the
> other one is inside my network, so the router is another machine... (Pretty much the same i guess)

Bonding Interfaces gives them a single virtual IP interface. This
means that you cannot connect them to two seperate networks. as
suggested here. You can use routing and so on through another device
to interconnect between the two networks (ADSL -> LAN), but direct
connection as being done with two separate NICs is not possible when
they become bonded.

As for a good document on exactly how to accomplish the Interface
bonding, I highly suggest this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding

> What i want... is my server A, load balance both links... this network is not a big one (only 80 Users... ) but on
> another one... (another building) i've got arround 700 users... and 7 ADSL lines... *and there would be a really big
> difference if we could load balance at least 3 links...
>
> I've been working with many guides i've found on the internet... about ifenslave and stuff... but none has worked yet...
> tough...
>
> I've seen also balance (http://www.inlab.de/balance.html) but is not what i need...
>
> also... as a side note... when i configure my bond0 device... i dont have any idea of what to use as a gateway...
> since... the server A should be going to be the new router... at least for testing....

As for gateways, the way I generally handle this with multiple WAN
links is to pick a primary WAN link (usually the known best link
[fastest/best uptime/ect]), and the router (server in your case) gets
that WAN (ADSL) link's gateway as the default gateway. Then for each
additional link to be load balanced (not to be confused with bonded,
bonding and load balancing are two very different things) you pick any
order and set a route with the same metric as the default gateway on
the router and create a rule similar to: source address - 0.0.0.0 ->
destination address - 0.0.0.0, gateway - <ISP Gateway>, interface -
<eth interface>.

> I'd like some advices here... if anyone has some ideas... before trying something like this:
> http://www.firewall.cx/ftopicp-15193.html (Imagine that with... 4 links at least xD)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Santiago Zarate
> santiago-ve@ubuntu.com
> (+58) 4129864175
> (+58) 4241073905

Hope this helps!

-Nick

Old 11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Pete Graner

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 05:16:29AM -0430, Santiago Zarate wrote:
> Hi!, actually i have few days trying out how to enable interface bonding (http://linux-ip.net/html/ether-bonding.html)
> on one of my networks, i actually have only two ethernet interfaces... one is a direct line from the ISP (Adsl), and the
> other one is inside my network, so the router is another machine... (Pretty much the same i guess)
>
> What i want... is my server A, load balance both links... this network is not a big one (only 80 Users... ) but on
> another one... (another building) i've got arround 700 users... and 7 ADSL lines... and there would be a really big
> difference if we could load balance at least 3 links...

You want load balancing not bonding. I wrote up how I did this with 2x
DSL lines on my blog:

http://blog.redvoodoo.org/2009/08/policy-based-routing-over-2-dsl-lines.html

Hope it helps.

~pete