Old 11-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Aljoša Mohorović

Default monitoring software with api/service to pull data

i'm looking for software that provides things like nagios (my current
option) but provides an API or some kind of service (rest, soap, ...)
which would enable me to retrieve data using some programming language
(preferably python).
few examples:
- "get data for all network traffic via http"
- "get data for all network traffic via http that was requested for
domain example.com"
- "get data for all network traffic via http that was requested for
domain example.com in time frame 1/1/2008 - 1/2/2008"

what i'm looking for is some software that does system monitoring and
alerting stuff but also provides high level api/service to retrieve
data useful for creating reports.
any ideas? or should i stick with nagios and use nagios options?

Aljosa Mohorovic

Old 11-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Benoit des Ligneris

Hello,

Well, if you have already nagios, I suggest you install NDOUtils and NDO2DB :
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/ndoutils/NDOUtils.pdf

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/ndoutils/NDOUtils_DB_Model.pdf

Then the data will be in a nice SQL database and you can easily build complex query

with SQL.

i'm looking for software that provides things like nagios (my current

option) but provides an API or some kind of service (rest, soap, ...)

which would enable me to retrieve data using some programming language

(preferably python).

few examples:

- "get data for all network traffic via http"

- "get data for all network traffic via http that was requested for

domain example.com"

- "get data for all network traffic via http that was requested for

domain example.com in time frame 1/1/2008 - 1/2/2008"

what i'm looking for is some software that does system monitoring and

alerting stuff but also provides high level api/service to retrieve

data useful for creating reports.

any ideas? or should i stick with nagios and use nagios options?

Aljosa Mohorovic

Benoit des Ligneris Ph. D., CEO
Revolution Linux
http://www.rlnx.com/

Old 11-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Jim Tarvid

I like Aljoša suggestion of a RESTful interface. Nothing could be easier on the client side. On the server side, data often does not fit an n-tuple schema and MySQL is a hammer for which every collection of data looks like a nail.

Jim

[...]

Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
Abajo Y A La Izquierda Esta El Corazon

Old 11-28-2009, 05:03 AM
Christian Drexler

Old 11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Aljoša Mohorović

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:03 AM, Christian Drexler
<christian@drexler-online.net> wrote:
> You might want to take a look at Zenoss (http://www.zenoss.com/). It
> has several APIs (xml-rpc, REST) and is written in Python itself
> (Zope-based). It has a nice AJAXified web interface and even can run
> Nagios plugins.

zenoss looks great, is there some reason why it's not available in
ubuntu repositories?

Aljosa

Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Elijah Wright

Last time I looked at it, it was a massive tangly mess of bundled python dependencies, and needed serious help on the packaging side.*

--elijah

Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Ante Karamatić

Elijah Wright wrote:

> Last time I looked at it, it was a massive tangly mess of bundled python
> dependencies, and needed serious help on the packaging side.

Last time I looked at it, it didn't had copyright in source and it was
creating unprivileged user with full root privileges (by sudo) with
NOPASSWD - meaning it could get root privileges without user interaction.

But that was years ago, I don't know if anything changed.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Alexander Kraev

Hi,

The new Zabbix 1.7.3 has JSON-RPC based API.

http://www.zabbix.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14716&goto=newpost

Regards,
Alex