Old 11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default console-kit-daemon

Hi,

I get the below message in the syslog. Any clue what could be causing the issue.

console-kit-daemon[3863]: WARNING: Error waiting for native console 47
activation: Invalid argument

Thanks,

Kaushal

Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM
afuentes

Im not sure if I can safely remove console-kit-dameon from servers. From
time to time, ive get a process with 100% usage cpu of
console-kit-daemon and i have to kill it. When I try to purge it, it
tries to uninstall things like dbus. Is dbus not needed by anything
else?. What is console kit doing anyway?

thank you!

greets
aL

Old 01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Clint Byrum

Excerpts from afuentes's message of Mon Jan 16 01:07:50 -0800 2012:
> Im not sure if I can safely remove console-kit-dameon from servers. From
> time to time, ive get a process with 100% usage cpu of
> console-kit-daemon and i have to kill it. When I try to purge it, it
> tries to uninstall things like dbus. Is dbus not needed by anything
> else?. What is console kit doing anyway?

It is only necessary if you have multiple users who want to login to the
system's console.

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit

For most servers, this isn't the case, and so it can probably be safely
removed.

Look at its reverse dependencies, I'm not even sure why you'd see it
installed on a server, unless you also installed the GUI. Its possible
it is part of the server install seed.