Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Gilberto Nunes

Default NetWork interface trouble...

Hi all

I'm in trouble here!

I have a Dell PowerEdge T300 that I install Ubuntu Server 9.10 and now I
can see one of 2 network interfaces...

The two interfaces is already enable on bios, but when I boot the system
I can't map the interface eth0!

I know why this happen.

When I install the soft, both two interfaces are seeing by the system...

Somebody has the same situation???

Thanks for any help

Gilberto

Old 11-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Ante Karamatić

Gilberto Nunes wrote:

> Somebody has the same situation???

On T300, one ethernet can be used for remote management. Check if that
is the case. On my T300, one card is for OS and the other for remote
management (it even has a wrench key next to the ethernet port).

Old 11-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Gilberto Nunes

There is no option to disable this feature on Dell BIOS Setup....

More stanger!
The output of command lspci show me both NIC's...

I remove the modules tg3 and load it again and I see this message
(dmesg):

udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1

ifconfig eth0
eth0: Error obtain information: %s: no such device

i do not know what happen...

Please I need help

Thanks

Em Sex, 2009-11-20 Ã*s 10:38 -0600, Ante Karamatić escreveu:
> Gilberto Nunes wrote:
>
> > Somebody has the same situation???
>
> On T300, one ethernet can be used for remote management. Check if that
> is the case. On my T300, one card is for OS and the other for remote
> management (it even has a wrench key next to the ethernet port).

Gilberto Nunes Ferreira
TI
Selbetti Gestão de Documentos
Telefone: +55 (47) 3441-6004
Celular: +55 (47) 8861-6672

"Bendita a nação cujo Deus é o SENHOR!"
99 <><

Old 11-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Gilberto Nunes

I will coma back to CentOS!
At least thing like this doesn't happen!!

Thanks

Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

Gilberto Nunes wrote:
> I will coma back to CentOS!
> At least thing like this doesn't happen!!

Well If you feel more confortable with centos go ahead, if you want to
learn how to fix this problem we requiere more information, sometimes
different kernels detect the NICs in different order, for example I use
dual boot for some training and ubuntu detects the nics in the correct
order, fist integrated (eth0) and then pci cards (eth1 and so on), and
when I boot with centos they are changed, eth0 pci and eth1 integrated,
that is easy to fix with real information..

the information required:

1- Are your NIC detected? provide lspci output:

$ lspci | grep Ethernet

2- Is your system aware about the interfaces ? NOTE: ifconfig by default
only show interfaces with UP atribute)

$ ifconfig -a

Probably at this step the interfaces are recognized but with different
name, that is because ifconfig eth0 wont show the information...

3 - Show the content of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file.

This file is used for udev to map a network interface by its MAC
address, this way you can get persistent names for your hardware, most
of times the easy fix is change the name in this file to the interfazce
name you want and reboot.

Hope this helps.

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México

Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Serge van Ginderachter

2009/11/20 Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes@selbetti.com.br>:
> I'm in trouble here!

Ouch.

> I have a Dell PowerEdge T300 that I install Ubuntu Server 9.10 and now I
> can see one of 2 network interfaces...

Please define what you mean by "I can see":
- kernel hardware detection log? (dmesg)
- ifconfig output?
- somewhere else?

> The two interfaces is already enable on bios, but when I boot the system
> I can't map the interface eth0!

What exactly do you mean by "can't map"? Which config are you editing
and/or which command are you trying to execute? What error messages do
you get?

> I know why this happen.

O. Please tell us why this hapens? But I guess you meant "I don't know"?

> When I install the soft, both two interfaces are seeing by the system...

I guess you that's during the network wizzard?

> Somebody has the same situation???

My educated guess is that both nic's are detected properly, and you
configured only one of them during OS setup (which is the normal and
only thing to do at that time.) That would be eth0

Somehow, things got changed or mixed up after that, did you switch
network cards? Mother board? Or did whatever it takes to have new mac
addresses for your nic(s)?

The error message about eth0 being renamed to eth1 happens most often
because your system remembers the mac address of the origiban eth0.
When you get a new card with another mac address, it will rename the
interface to the next available number.

Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules as jorge told you, or
maybe just delete that file, and issue the command "udevadm trigger",
then cast "service networking restart". As it looks from here, that
should do it.

--

Met vriendelijke groet,

Serge van Ginderachter

"Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an
illusion." - Michael Jordan

Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Jorge Armando Medina

Serge van Ginderachter wrote:
> 2009/11/20 Gilberto Nunes <gilberto.nunes@selbetti.com.br>:
>
>> I'm in trouble here!
>>

> Ouch.
>

>> I have a Dell PowerEdge T300 that I install Ubuntu Server 9.10 and now I
>> can see one of 2 network interfaces...
>>

> Please define what you mean by "I can see":
> - kernel hardware detection log? (dmesg)
> - ifconfig output?
> - somewhere else?
>

>> The two interfaces is already enable on bios, but when I boot the system
>> I can't map the interface eth0!
>>

> What exactly do you mean by "can't map"? Which config are you editing
> and/or which command are you trying to execute? What error messages do
> you get?
>

>> I know why this happen.
>>

> O. Please tell us why this hapens? But I guess you meant "I don't know"?
>

>> When I install the soft, both two interfaces are seeing by the system...
>>

> I guess you that's during the network wizzard?
>

>> Somebody has the same situation???
>>

> My educated guess is that both nic's are detected properly, and you
> configured only one of them during OS setup (which is the normal and
> only thing to do at that time.) That would be eth0
>
> Somehow, things got changed or mixed up after that, did you switch
> network cards? Mother board? Or did whatever it takes to have new mac
> addresses for your nic(s)?
>
> The error message about eth0 being renamed to eth1 happens most often
> because your system remembers the mac address of the origiban eth0.
> When you get a new card with another mac address, it will rename the
> interface to the next available number.
>

> Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules as jorge told you, or
> maybe just delete that file, and issue the command "udevadm trigger",
> then cast "service networking restart". As it looks from here, that
> should do it.

Thanks for the tip about udevadm trigger

Old 11-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Gilberto Nunes

Hi Serge

First, it is necessary to me apologise by my poor badly English...
I really sorry...
But this issue make me very confused, because I never replace the NIC's,
also never replace the mother board....
The MAC address is the some of initial instalation...
But, I will try do what you suggest with udev trigger command...

Sorry for all disturb..

Thanks