Old 11-19-2009, 04:32 PM
"Michael S. Mason"

Default Formatting HD

Ladies & Gents,
I am wanting to know the best way to format my two (2) hard drives...*I have two 250GB hard drives for use.*What is the best way to accomplish this?*I am thinking about the following listed below.*Keep in mind that I have 4GB of RAM ** Also, this server will be used as a Mail (Only for myself), Web, and as a light,*Virtualization server. Lastly, should I be using LVM?
Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, with /etc4
/dev/sda1 * * 300MB's for*/Boot/dev/sda2 8GB HD for /Swap/dev/sda5 The rest for / (root)
Disk /dev/sdb: 250.0 GB,*with*/etc4
/dev/sdb 250GB's for /Var
Thank you all in advance!
Michael--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 11-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Matt Kassawara

1) You probably don't need 300 MB for /boot unless you plan to keep more than a few old kernels around... I'd go with 100 MB at most.
2) If the disks are matched and you don't need more than 250 GB, consider mirroring them (RAID 1) for redundancy.

3) If you decide to use all 500 GB, consider mounting the second disk as /data or another generic mount point since /var doesn't tend to require a ton of space on desktop systems. *You can always bind mount parts of it to other locations later.

4) Using LVM makes these initial decisions easier since you can more easily change allocations later, but adds complexity especially if you're not familiar with it.
5) Swap... depends on your school of thought. *Historically, twice the RAM typically worked. *On heavily loaded servers this may still hold true. *However, a desktop system with 4 GB will probably not dig much into swap space, so you could probably get away with considerably less... perhaps 4 GB at most.

Just FYI, both partitioning and swap allocation are somewhat subjective topics... so expect a bunch of different responses... or a flame war.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Andy Smith

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 09:32:14AM -0800, Michael S. Mason wrote:
> I am wanting to know the best way to format my two (2) hard drives... I
> have two 250GB hard drives for use. What is the best way to accomplish
> this?

I have to mostly agree with Matt. My preferred way given this hardware
would be a small /, /boot and swap in RAID-1, then a RAID-1 as an
LVM PV from which logical volumes for most other things (/usr, /var/
and so on) would come. The logical volumes would be quite small to
begin with as I'd grow them as needed to avoid wastage.

Ultimately there is no objective "best" layout, everyone has an
opinion.

Cheers,
Andy

"SCSI is usually fixed by remembering that it needs three terminations: One at
each end of the chain. And the goat." -- Andrew McDonald