Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu Server Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/)
-   -   Upgrade kvm host and guest from 9.4 to 9.10 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/279956-upgrade-kvm-host-guest-9-4-9-10-a.html)

Valerio Felici 11-13-2009 01:34 PM

Upgrade kvm host and guest from 9.4 to 9.10
 
Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade a physical server with a virtual (kvm) one
from jaunty to karmic.

Which is best way to do that?

First upgrade pysical or virtual machine?

There is a place where similar procedure is documented?

Many thanks in advance.
--
A presto
-Valerio-

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

"Leonel Nunez" 11-13-2009 02:41 PM

Upgrade kvm host and guest from 9.4 to 9.10
 
> Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade a physical server with a virtual (kvm) one
> from jaunty to karmic.
>
> Which is best way to do that?
>
> First upgrade pysical or virtual machine?
>
> There is a place where similar procedure is documented?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
> --
> A presto
> -Valerio-
>
> --


do-release-upgrade will do

but Karmic qemu does not have support for kqemu
in case you don't have a vmx or svm CPU your guests will be slooooooow

Saludos



--
Leonel Nunez
http://enelserver.com
http://enelserver.com/leonel/



--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Jarl Friis 11-21-2009 02:53 PM

Upgrade kvm host and guest from 9.4 to 9.10
 
Valerio Felici <valerio@bgweb.it> writes:

> Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade a physical server with a virtual (kvm) one
> from jaunty to karmic.
>
> Which is best way to do that?

I just did that using `do-release-upgrade`, even over an ssh
connection. It nicely informs you that it will open another ssh
connection on a different port (but you don't have to do anything),
and you can just say OK and continue the process. Everything worked
very smoothly. All in all it was a very painless experience.

Jarl


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Valerio Felici 11-23-2009 09:01 AM

Upgrade kvm host and guest from 9.4 to 9.10
 
Jarl Friis ha scritto:
> Valerio Felici <valerio@bgweb.it> writes:
>
>> Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade a physical server with a virtual (kvm) one
>> from jaunty to karmic.
>>
>> Which is best way to do that?
>
> I just did that using `do-release-upgrade`, even over an ssh
> connection. It nicely informs you that it will open another ssh
> connection on a different port (but you don't have to do anything),
> and you can just say OK and continue the process. Everything worked
> very smoothly. All in all it was a very painless experience.
>
Many thanks, so is there no difference doing upgrade first in physical
or virtual machine?


--
A presto
-Valerio-

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

Jarl Friis 11-25-2009 12:36 PM

Upgrade kvm host and guest from 9.4 to 9.10
 
Valerio Felici <valerio@bgweb.it> writes:

> Jarl Friis ha scritto:
>> Valerio Felici <valerio@bgweb.it> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I'm thinking to upgrade a physical server with a virtual (kvm) one
>>> from jaunty to karmic.
>>>
>>> Which is best way to do that?
>>
>> I just did that using `do-release-upgrade`, even over an ssh
>> connection. It nicely informs you that it will open another ssh
>> connection on a different port (but you don't have to do anything),
>> and you can just say OK and continue the process. Everything worked
>> very smoothly. All in all it was a very painless experience.
>>
> Many thanks, so is there no difference doing upgrade first in physical
> or virtual machine?

Yes there is. I haven't upgraded virtual machines yet.

Jarl


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.