Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Félim Whiteley

Default mount external hard disrk impossible

First check it is /dev/sdb by using

dmesg

Just after you have plugged it in. It may be /dev/sdc for instance. Next there
is an error in your mount command as you are missing the partition. You can't
mount a drive, you can only mount a partition, so assuming there is 1
partition you would use:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk

Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Benoit durand

ok, thanks
but i don't found in dmesg
when i do :
lsusb

I've nothing. i think, my server don't found the external hard disk.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Bruno Garin

Benoit try "fdisk -l" to find it

Benoit durand a écrit :
> ok, thanks
> but i don't found in dmesg
> when i do :
> lsusb
>
> I've nothing. i think, my server don't found the external hard disk.
>

> 2009/11/11 Félim Whiteley <felimwhiteley@gmail.com
> <mailto:felimwhiteley@gmail.com>>
>
> First check it is /dev/sdb by using
>
> dmesg
>
> Just after you have plugged it in. It may be /dev/sdc for instance.
> Next there
> is an error in your mount command as you are missing the partition.
> You can't
> mount a drive, you can only mount a partition, so assuming there is 1
> partition you would use:
>
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk
>

> On Wednesday 11 November 2009 11:48:46 Benoit durand wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > I 've a external hard disk on usb.
> > I don't found /dev/sdb.
> > is it normal ? how can i mount my external hard disk 2,5 pouce on usb.
> > i'd like to do that :
> > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb /mnt/disk
> >
> > thanks
> > Ben

Bruno Garin
0696 25 71 72

BG Consultant
Logiciels libres & ouverts
Fort-de-France - Martinique
0974 768 972
www.bgconsultant.net

Old 11-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Benoit durand

# fdisk -l
i see only the disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB
it's the internal hard disk.
But i don't find the external hard disk.
Is it normal ?

--

Bruno Garin

0696 25 71 72

BG Consultant

Logiciels libres & ouverts

Fort-de-France - Martinique

0974 768 972

www.bgconsultant.net

Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Ilias Romanos

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 14:39 +0100, Benoit durand wrote:
> # fdisk -l
> i see only the disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB
> it's the internal hard disk.
> But i don't find the external hard disk.
> Is it normal ?

No it is not. Is your hard disk working on another OS, be it Apple Mac
OS X, Microsoft Windows or another Linux distribution.

Did you try it on another usb port? Did you try another usb device on
that port? Do they work correctly?

> 2009/11/11 Bruno Garin <bruno@bgconsultant.net>
> Benoit try "fdisk -l" to find it
>
> Benoit durand a écrit :
> > ok, thanks
> > but i don't found in dmesg
> > when i do :
> > lsusb
> >
> > I've nothing. i think, my server don't found the external
> hard disk.
> >

> > 2009/11/11 Félim Whiteley <felimwhiteley@gmail.com
>
> > <mailto:felimwhiteley@gmail.com>>
> >
> > First check it is /dev/sdb by using
> >
> > dmesg
> >
> > Just after you have plugged it in. It may be /dev/sdc
> for instance.
> > Next there
> > is an error in your mount command as you are missing the
> partition.
> > You can't
> > mount a drive, you can only mount a partition, so
> assuming there is 1
> > partition you would use:
> >
> > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk
> >

> > On Wednesday 11 November 2009 11:48:46 Benoit durand
> wrote:
> > > hello,
> > >
> > > I 've a external hard disk on usb.
> > > I don't found /dev/sdb.
> > > is it normal ? how can i mount my external hard disk
> 2,5 pouce on usb.
> > > i'd like to do that :
> > > mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb /mnt/disk
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > Ben
> > >

> > --

> Bruno Garin
> 0696 25 71 72
>
> BG Consultant
> Logiciels libres & ouverts
> Fort-de-France - Martinique
> 0974 768 972
> www.bgconsultant.net

Ilias Romanos <ilias@existanze.com>
Existanze Integrated Solutions

Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Imre Gergely

You could try this:

- disconnect the usb drive
- start a tail -f /var/log/messages on a terminal
- plug in the drive
- see if anything happens, anything usb-related pops up.

For example, if I plug my usb drive in the laptop, I see these:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/315949/

Do you see anything at all?

On 11/11/2009 03:39 PM, Benoit durand wrote:
> # fdisk -l
> i see only the disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB
> it's the internal hard disk.
> But i don't find the external hard disk.
> Is it normal ?
>

> 2009/11/11 Bruno Garin <bruno@bgconsultant.net>
>
>> Benoit try "fdisk -l" to find it
>>
>> Benoit durand a écrit :
>>> ok, thanks
>>> but i don't found in dmesg
>>> when i do :
>>> lsusb
>>>
>>> I've nothing. i think, my server don't found the external hard disk.
>>>

>>> 2009/11/11 Félim Whiteley <felimwhiteley@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:felimwhiteley@gmail.com>>
>>>
>>> First check it is /dev/sdb by using
>>>
>>> dmesg
>>>
>>> Just after you have plugged it in. It may be /dev/sdc for instance.
>>> Next there
>>> is an error in your mount command as you are missing the partition.
>>> You can't
>>> mount a drive, you can only mount a partition, so assuming there is 1
>>> partition you would use:
>>>
>>> mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk

>> usb.

>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Bruno Garin
>> 0696 25 71 72
>>
>> BG Consultant
>> Logiciels libres & ouverts
>> Fort-de-France - Martinique
>> 0974 768 972
>> www.bgconsultant.net
>>
>> --

Imre Gergely
Yahoo!: gergelyimre | ICQ#: 101510959
MSN: gergely_imre | GoogleTalk: gergelyimre
gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-keys 0x34525305

Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Benoit durand

I have been a debian formatted in ext3.

When I connect from my ubuntu laptop, it is recognized automatically.

when I disconnect, I have no messages in / var / log / messages

Benoit durand a écrit :

ok, thanks

but i don't found in dmesg

when i do :

lsusb

I've nothing. i think, my server don't found the external hard disk.

2009/11/11 Félim Whiteley <felimwhiteley@gmail.com

<mailto:felimwhiteley@gmail.com>>

* *First check it is /dev/sdb by using

* *dmesg

* *Just after you have plugged it in. It may be /dev/sdc for instance.

* *Next there

* *is an error in your mount command as you are missing the partition.

* *You can't

* *mount a drive, you can only mount a partition, so assuming there is 1

* *partition you would use:

* *mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/disk

* *On Wednesday 11 November 2009 11:48:46 Benoit durand wrote:

* *> hello,

* *>

* *> I 've a external hard disk on usb.

* *> I don't found /dev/sdb.

* *> is it normal ? how can i mount my external hard disk 2,5 pouce on

usb.

* *> i'd like to do that :

* *> mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb /mnt/disk

* *>

* *> thanks

* *> Ben

* *>

* *--

Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Imre Gergely

I'm not sure I understand your response. If you connect your usb drive
to your server, do you see anything appearing in /var/log/messages ?
Anything related to usb, anything that resembles this:

Old 11-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Imre Gergely

Maybe you don't have USB support, or USB is disabled on the server
(maybe from the BIOS?).