Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Soren Hansen

Default DRBD inside DRBD

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 08:42:06AM -0200, Gilberto Nunes wrote:

> I need a solution here.
> I think deploy a server with two VM with kvm over ubuntu, and inside
> this VM use DRBD to replicate some share partition, like /home, p.e.
> I need use heartbeat to monitoring this VM too.
> What happen is that I need have two identical servers, and share some
> partition between then....
[...]
> Some advice???

I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for? What is your
particular problem?

--
Soren Hansen |
Lead virtualisation engineer | Ubuntu Server Team

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Ante Karamatić

Gilberto Nunes wrote:

> I need use heartbeat to monitoring this VM too.

It should work. The only problem I see here is heartbeat. If you are
going to use Ubuntu 9.10, heartbeat is from 3.x series, which isn't
something we all know as heartbeat. In that case you should use redhat
cluster suite or pacemaker. Note that pacemaker is in 'technology
preview' state. It works, but it isn't production ready, yet.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Ante Karamatić

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Gilberto Nunes

Thanks Ante

You get the point!

I was afraid to work with pacemaker/corosync.
Indeed, I have think much about rhl cluster suite.
But I not have much "know how" about rhl cluster suite over Ubuntu....
Is It work like as RHLE???
Do you can point some doc/howto about it???

Thanks a lot

Regards

Em Ter, 2009-11-10 *s 12:56 +0100, Ante Karamatić escreveu:
> Gilberto Nunes wrote:
>
> > I need use heartbeat to monitoring this VM too.
>
> It should work. The only problem I see here is heartbeat. If you are
> going to use Ubuntu 9.10, heartbeat is from 3.x series, which isn't
> something we all know as heartbeat. In that case you should use redhat
> cluster suite or pacemaker. Note that pacemaker is in 'technology
> preview' state. It works, but it isn't production ready, yet.

Gilberto Nunes Ferreira
TI
Selbetti Gestão de Documentos
Telefone: +55 (47) 3441-6004
Celular: +55 (47) 8861-6672

"Bendita a nação cujo Deus é o SENHOR!"
99 <><

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Gilberto Nunes

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Ante Karamatić

Gilberto Nunes wrote:

> I was afraid to work with pacemaker/corosync.

Pacemaker/corosync is still a moving target. I've tested it with DRBD
and it does work. There is no documentation in Ubuntu server guide about
it since I don't want people to just use it, thinking it's a fully
tested solution - it's not. It should be in 10.04 and documentation will
be provided for it.

> Indeed, I have think much about rhl cluster suite.

Goal is to drop it in 10.04 and replace it with pacemaker as a preferred
Ubuntu solution. At the moment, RHCS is industry standard, but even
RedHat's Fedora is including pacemaker in latest release.

> But I not have much "know how" about rhl cluster suite over Ubuntu....
> Is It work like as RHLE???

It should be exactly the same. 3.0.x series, included in 9.10, are
prepared by RedHat to be less RHEL specific, so some problems that
existed before, should be solved now.

> Do you can point some doc/howto about it???

There's no Ubuntu specific documentation. I use RHCS in production and
I've used official RedHat and CentOS (which is basically copy of
RedHat's) documentation for setting it up.

If you really want to work with heartbeat, stay with 8.04 or 9.04 and
wait 10.04. If you feel like testing, go with 9.10 and set up pacemaker.
There are good tutorials at clusterlabs.org and at drbd.org.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Ante Karamatić

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Gilberto Nunes

Thanks

The RHCS have a monitoring host system like heartbeat, and can
enable/disable services/IP's???

Old 11-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Gilberto Nunes

Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Ante Karamatić

Gilberto Nunes wrote:

> The RHCS have a monitoring host system like heartbeat, and can
> enable/disable services/IP's???

Of course.