Old 11-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Andy Smith

Default What defines a "Server" / which packages are supported?

Hello,

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases says 8.04 LTS is supported until
2011 on the Desktop or 2013 on the Server.

Can anyone tell me what that officially means? Officially what
defines a Server install?

Given the average install that is pointing at the hardy repositories
and is dully updated, how would one find out which packages it has
on it that are not supported past 2011?

Cheers,
Andy

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Nicolas Barcet

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 18:06 +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases says 8.04 LTS is supported until
> 2011 on the Desktop or 2013 on the Server.
>
> Can anyone tell me what that officially means? Officially what
> defines a Server install?
>
> Given the average install that is pointing at the hardy repositories
> and is dully updated, how would one find out which packages it has
> on it that are not supported past 2011?

What defines a server is:
- the kernel used
- the seed that contains each packages in main as explained in [1].

As checking which package is in which seed is a bit complex, I have been
working a script that provides the end-of-life(EOL) of each package
installed on a given system [2].

For Dapper, as the seeds where not properly organized to automate this
fully in a satisfactory manner, please refer to the email announcing the
desktop EOL [3].

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeedManagement
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-maintenance-check
[3]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2009-July/000123.html

Nick

Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
James Dinkel

I've always kept a minimal amount of packages installed on my servers.* For instance, I'm pretty certain that a default install from the "Server" disc plus Apache and php, would all be considered "server" packages.* I don't put X, Gnome, etc on it.* With that said, it would be nice to know for certain the EOL for all packages.* Maybe even having a script that will run on your own system and list any packages that are not under "server" support.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Nicolas Barcet

On 11/11/2009 04:25 PM, James Dinkel wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Nicolas Barcet
> <nick.barcet@canonical.com <mailto:nick.barcet@canonical.com>> wrote:
>
> What defines a server is:
> - the kernel used
> - the seed that contains each packages in main as explained in [1].
>
> As checking which package is in which seed is a bit complex, I
> have been
> working a script that provides the end-of-life(EOL) of each package
> installed on a given system [2].
>
> For Dapper, as the seeds where not properly organized to automate this
> fully in a satisfactory manner, please refer to the email
> announcing the
> desktop EOL [3].
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SeedManagement
> [2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-maintenance-check
> [3]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2009-July/000123.html
>
> I've always kept a minimal amount of packages installed on my
> servers. For instance, I'm pretty certain that a default install from
> the "Server" disc plus Apache and php, would all be considered
> "server" packages. I don't put X, Gnome, etc on it. With that said,
> it would be nice to know for certain the EOL for all packages. Maybe
> even having a script that will run on your own system and list any
> packages that are not under "server" support.

I may not have been clear, but this is exactly what I have been trying
to provide with ubuntu-maintenance-check [2]. Please give it a try and
file wishlist bugs if you would like to see additional features.

Nick