Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM
"Egbert Jan van den Bussche"

Default Upcoming meeting on IRC

Hello! New kid on the block here.

Just switching from Mandriva to Ubuntu mainly because the availability of a
server release. Just installed the Ubuntu server using the 8.10 CD. Looks
cool! A few things that crossed my mind and might find their way into the
server release:

1 shouldn't a server release put things like DNS in a chroot jail?

2 A server is normally not on DHCP. The install script should give at least
a choice between dhcp and static.

3 A default partioning scheme. Allocate some swap space and and put (at
least) /var and /home in their own partitions.

4 The ssl gang advises to use /etc/pki/... structure, I think. Ubuntu still
follows the 'old' /etc/ssl/... way of working.

Well, dunno if I stepped on some toes but I thought I should mention it.

Have a good meeting,

Best regards,
Egbert Jan (NL)