Old 03-20-2009, 02:49 PM
"Gabriel A. von Winckler"

Default NFS export of a squashfs

Hi,

I'm trying a very unusual setup, and I need to export a squashfs over
NFS.

Every document say that it should be possible (if generate the squash
image without the -no-export flag), but I receive the follow error from
exportfs (nfs-kernel-server):

exportfs: Warning: /mountpoint does not support NFS export.

A unionfs mountpoint, that should work, doesn't either.

I tried that with a livecd of PCLinuxOS, kernel 2.6.26.8, and works.

Is that the expected behavior in Ubuntu? In which package should start
to debug?

Thanks,

Winckler

P.S: I'm using 9.04 alpha, but I also tried on a 8.10.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Phillip Lougher

Gabriel A. von Winckler <winckler <at> campogeral.com.br> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying a very unusual setup, and I need to export a squashfs over
> NFS.
>
> Every document say that it should be possible (if generate the squash
> image without the -no-export flag), but I receive the follow error from
> exportfs (nfs-kernel-server):
>
> exportfs: Warning: /mountpoint does not support NFS export.
>
> A unionfs mountpoint, that should work, doesn't either.
>
> I tried that with a livecd of PCLinuxOS, kernel 2.6.26.8, and works.
>
> Is that the expected behavior in Ubuntu? In which package should start
> to debug?

Exporting Squashfs via NFS should work. Unfortunately after checking Ubuntu's
kernels (9.04 and 8.10) the reason it doesn't work is clear. Ubuntu has the
export code in Squashfs in their kernels disabled,..

Why? It's because Ubuntu are using an older version of Squashfs (3.3)
originally written for kernels 2.6.24 and older, which they have incompletely
forward ported to later kernel versions. Unfortunately the NFS export interface
changed in kernels 2.6.25 and later, which means export code written for 2.6.24
and earlier kernels no longer works. Evidently rather than forward port the NFS
export code to later kernels they have disabled it.

The solution to this problem is to use a later version of Squashfs (3.4) in
which I rewrote the NFS export code for later kernels. Why the Ubuntu kernel
team aren't using the latest 3.4 Squashfs release which officially supports
newer kernels than 2.6.24 is something you'll have to ask them.

You can patch the Ubuntu kernel source with the latest Squashfs 3.4. Squashfs
3.4 is available from http://squashfs.org.uk. Because Ubuntu put their version
of Squashfs inside the ubuntu directory, the kernel patches in the Squashfs 3.4
release should almost fully apply. You will get rejects for mm/do_mounts_rd.c
but the rejects for this file can be safely ignored.

Building the new Squashfs version in fs/squashfs as a module should get you a
working module that supports NFS exporting (check dmesg to make sure you're
inserting the Squashfs 3.4 release module).

Phillip

Old 03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Gabriel Winckler

Hi Phillip,

Thank you very much for this elaborate trace.

I will recompile the kernel in the next couple of days. For now I'm using the unfs3 server.

Isn't this a case for opening a bug for the kernel team?

I would suggest to update the squash patch and enable the exports.
I also would like to have the aufs module compiled this exports enable by default.

Anyone have suggestions on how accomplish this? A launchpad bug or submit a patch is the best way of contact the kernel team?

Regards,

Winckler

Old 03-24-2009, 03:34 AM
Gabriel Winckler

My luck. The new kernel (2.6.29), just released, includes squashfs (version 4.0).
Probably only arrive on ubuntu 9.10, but will be there for sure :-).

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_29

Winckler