Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
James Dinkel

Default problem with virtio nic in Jaunty kvm host with Hardy guest

After upgrading to Jaunty Alpha 6 on my kvm server, my Ubuntu Hardy guest servers would freeze during boot.* After some playing around, I figured out I need to change the nic type from virtio to e1000 (or probably anything other than virtio would work).* This seems to be a bug, but my last bug report I discovered I was overlooking something right after submitting the bug report, so I thought I'd better throw this one out to the mailing list .

I figured this out after trying to install a new guest and the install froze right before configuring the network.* If you create a guest using virt-install and specify '--os-type=linux --os-variant=ubuntuHardy' then it will create a guest with a virtio nic and will freeze during install.

James

Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
James Dinkel

oops, there is already a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kvm/+bug/331128