Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Victor Padro

Default High availability using openvz containers

Hello,

I'm trying to setup loadbalanced high-availability apache cluster based on ubuntu 8.04 using this how-to, using a couple of openvz containers, but I get stuck when I do this:

root@webserver01:~# modprobe ip_vs_dh
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-2-pve/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Do I have to load the modules directly from the host?

or is there a nice how-to, tutorial to setup a loadbalacing apache cluster using containers that you guys know?

googling around found this:
http://lbvm.sourceforge.net/
which only works under red hat clustering services
is there an alternative for debian/ubuntu?

my host is a proxmox(debian) machine using several ubuntu/debian containers and VMs

TIA

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Victor Padro

> I'm trying to setup loadbalanced high-availability apache cluster based

> on ubuntu 8.04 using this how-to

> <http://www.howtoforge.com/set-up-a-loadbalanced-ha-apache-cluster-ubuntu8.04>,

> using a couple of openvz containers, but I get stuck when I do this:

> root@webserver01:~# modprobe ip_vs_dh

> FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-2-pve/modules.dep: No such

> file or directory

> Do I have to load the modules directly from the host?

> or is there a nice how-to, tutorial to setup a loadbalacing apache

> cluster using containers that you guys know?

i was about to ask if this was on the host or guest but you answered it

for me module loading needs to be done on the host; openvz is a

shared-kernel system (meaning the guests share the host kernel) so from

a security standpoint, it doesn't make much sense to allow the guests to

have control over the host's kernel/modules.

Actually I've loaded the modules in the host and the result is the same:
proxmox:~# modprobe ip_vs_ftp
proxmox:~#
proxmox:~# lsmod
Module***************** Size* Used by
ip_vs_ftp************* 15492* 0

ip_vs**************** 105696* 2 ip_vs_ftp
kvm_intel************* 57960* 0
kvm****************** 191752* 1 kvm_intel
vzethdev************** 23808* 0
vznetdev************** 32776* 4
simfs***************** 14320* 2

vzrst**************** 155688* 0
vzcpt**************** 129976* 0
tun******************* 23168* 2 vzrst,vzcpt
vzdquota************** 58864* 2 [permanent]
vzmon***************** 58520* 6 vzethdev,vznetdev,vzrst,vzcpt

vzdev***************** 13064* 4 vzethdev,vznetdev,vzdquota,vzmon
xt_tcpudp************* 12288* 0
xt_length************* 10752* 0
ipt_ttl*************** 10752* 0
xt_tcpmss************* 11264* 0
xt_TCPMSS************* 13568* 0

iptable_mangle******** 13824* 2
iptable_filter******** 13696* 2
xt_multiport********** 12288* 0
xt_limit************** 12032* 0
ipt_tos*************** 10496* 0
ipt_REJECT************ 13952* 0
ip_tables************* 33256* 2 iptable_mangle,iptable_filter

x_tables************** 33672* 10 xt_tcpudp,xt_length,ipt_ttl,xt_tcpmss,xt_TCPMSS*** ****************************************** ,xt_multiport,xt_limit,ipt_tos,ipt_REJECT,ip_table s
ipv6***************** 342016* 41 vzrst,vzcpt,vzmon

bridge**************** 73128* 0
dm_snapshot*********** 28256* 0
dm_mirror************* 34432* 0
e1000**************** 176068* 0
thermal*************** 27168* 0
button**************** 18336* 0
intel_agp************* 38304* 0

processor************* 49768* 1 thermal
evdev***************** 22912* 0
pcspkr**************** 12288* 0
scsi_wait_scan******** 10112* 0
dm_mod**************** 79736* 9 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
usbhid**************** 43616* 0

hid******************* 52544* 1 usbhid
usb_storage*********** 90304* 0
libusual************** 31072* 1 usb_storage
sd_mod**************** 40448* 3
sr_mod**************** 27684* 0
ide_disk************** 26496* 0

ide_generic************ 9856* 0 [permanent]
ide_cd**************** 43040* 0
cdrom***************** 48936* 2 sr_mod,ide_cd
ide_core************* 144152* 3 ide_disk,ide_generic,ide_cd
shpchp**************** 45596* 0

pci_hotplug*********** 43312* 1 shpchp
uhci_hcd************** 37408* 0
ehci_hcd************** 48908* 0
usbcore************** 178608* 6 usbhid,usb_storage,libusual,uhci_hcd,ehci_hcd
iTCO_wdt************** 22992* 0

iTCO_vendor_support*** 13188* 1 iTCO_wdt
i2c_i801************** 19740* 0
i2c_core************** 36352* 1 i2c_i801
ata_piix************** 31492* 2
pata_marvell********** 16768* 0
pata_acpi************* 17152* 0

ata_generic*********** 17412* 0
libata*************** 184496* 4 ata_piix,pata_marvell,pata_acpi,ata_generic
scsi_mod************* 187192* 5 scsi_wait_scan,usb_storage,sd_mod,sr_mod,libata
isofs***************** 47144* 0

msdos***************** 19712* 0
fat******************* 67760* 1 msdos

root@webserver01:~# modprobe ip_vs_ftp
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24-2-pve/modules.dep: No such file or directory

any other hint?

*

if you would like to avoid this, Xen allows for private kernels i

believe (as long as you're using paravirtualization.. can a Xen guru

correct me if i'm wrong on this?)

> googling around found this:

> http://lbvm.sourceforge.net/

> which only works under red hat clustering services

> is there an alternative for debian/ubuntu?

> my host is a proxmox(debian) machine using several ubuntu/debian

> containers and VMs

> TIA

looks like it is supported pretty well- per the homepage, "The LBVM

consists of several scripts that allow to load balance virtual machines

(**currently preconfigured: Xen and OpenVZ**) among physical servers -

the algorithm is fully configurable. LBVM uses the Red Hat Cluster Suite

to provide high availability and rgmanager (part of the Red Hat Cluster

Suite) to perform the actual migration." (emphasis added)

It is a nice tool for a rhel/centos but I will still love to use in debian/ubuntu though.
*

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Victor Padro

Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Victor Padro

not even restarting the host and the container works.once upon a time i saw a forum post/blog where it explain how to use HA clustering using openvz containers but i guess i'm getting old cos i can't find it.

"Todo el desorden del mundo proviene de las profesiones mal o mediocremente servidas"

Old 03-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Victor Padro