Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Vigh Zoltán

Default XEN kernel fault (soft lockup) on domU hardy

Hi, i have a problem with my production system running ubuntu hardy: I
run 3 xen servers where i have one hardy guest for mysql and one hardy
guest for apache-php-lighttpd-squid. The webserver farm gets its data
from a ocfs2 partition. My webserver guests are dying with kernel page
faults, i heard of a kernel problem with the hardy xen kernel, so i
thought of changing kernels, but the Intrepid kernel has OCFS2 1.5.0
modules, the hardy 1.3.3, and i have 2 other servers who talk to the
OCFS2 partition, where i cannot afford a distupgrade. I also saw on
launchpad 1-2 long unresolved soft lockup related bug. Any ideas to
this? Currently we are thinking to abandon XEN, and virtualization (KVM
is not an option , because the hardware doesnt support it).

os: ubuntu 8.04.2
kernel: 2.6.24-19-xen (we currently try -23)

thx,

--
Vigh Zoltán
Admin