Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Liraz Siri

Default TurnKey Linux release 12 new software appliances based on Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS

Hi guys,

We just finished updating the site for our most exciting and ambitious
batch of releases yet. The 2009.02 release, based on Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS,
includes 12 new software appliance images and features extensive
improvements to usability, security and stability. We've done a
terrific amount of quality assurance on our end and blocked the release
until we had resolved every single bug and issue we found.

Highlights:

* New appliances since last announcement: Ruby on Rails, Mediawiki,
Drupal6, LAPP stack, Django stack, MySQL, PostgreSQL, TurnKey Core
(102MB) and Bootstrap (67MB)

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances

* Rebuilt all appliances on top of TurnKey Core, the new common base for
all software appliances, which is assembled from Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS
packages.

* Security enhancements: SSL support out of the box, regenerating
crypographic keys at installation time, database password setting
during installation.

* Usability improvements: phpMyAdmin included in all LAMP based
appliances, also included many generically useful webmin modules and
improved embedded documentation, configuration console support for
systems with multiple NICs, and password-free login in live CD/demo
mode.

* Many bugfixes including one that fixes a potential breakage to the
daily auto-updates mechanism.

Full details:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/news/good-news-everyone

Link to blueprints for this release:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/turnkeylinux/2009.02-hardy-x86

We got this far thanks to everyone in the Ubuntu community who tried out
the previous crop of beta appliances, especially those who gave us
feedback and encouragement on the forums. Part of the
what's great about starting out small is that we've been able to keep up
with all comments and questions and personally respond to every single
one of them, even in the middle of a development cycle.

What is a software appliance?
-----------------------------

A software appliance is a self contained system combining an application
with just enough operating system to run on real hardware or a virtual
machine (e.g., VMWare, VirtualBox, Xen HVM, KVM)..

Manual installation and configuration of a server solution can be
painful and time consuming, especially for users lacking technical
proficiency.

Some users find that using a pre-integrated software appliance is an
easier way to get up and running quickly, especially in combination with
virtual machine software.

A software appliance allows users to altogether skip manual installation
of the desired application components and required dependencies, and
instead deploy a self-contained, ready-to-use system that requires
little to no setup.

For further details see:

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/what-is-a-software-appliance

Cheers,