Old 03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Colin Watson

Default tomcat packaging concerns from upstream (was )

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:41:51PM -0800, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> Attempts to disscuss the following topic:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.tomcat.user/172013
>
> have been rejected.
>
> The tomcat list directs this concern to the ubuntu list, which has in
> the past only offered the consensus advice of not to use the package
> manager. Hence the attempts to post to the devel list.

tomcat6 seems to be the only version of Tomcat in Ubuntu main, and it
appears to have been quite extensively repackaged since tomcat5.5. The
ubuntu-server mailing list would be the best place to discuss this, I
think; Thierry Carrez and Mathias Gug have been working on it in Ubuntu.
It seems to address at least some of the concerns in the mailing list
post above, but I am nothing like an expert on it myself and can only
point you in the right direction.

tomcat5.5 is in our "universe" component
(http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/components). The
differences between the Debian and Ubuntu tomcat5.5 packages appear to
be rather small, so concerns about it would probably be best directed to
the Debian maintainer. The advertised mailing list for that is:

Debian Java Maintainers <pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Thierry Carrez

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 08:41:51PM -0800, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
>> Attempts to disscuss the following topic:
>>
>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.tomcat.user/172013
>>
>> have been rejected.
>>
>> The tomcat list directs this concern to the ubuntu list, which has in
>> the past only offered the consensus advice of not to use the package
>> manager. Hence the attempts to post to the devel list.
>
> tomcat6 seems to be the only version of Tomcat in Ubuntu main, and it
> appears to have been quite extensively repackaged since tomcat5.5. The
> ubuntu-server mailing list would be the best place to discuss this, I
> think; Thierry Carrez and Mathias Gug have been working on it in Ubuntu.
> It seems to address at least some of the concerns in the mailing list
> post above, but I am nothing like an expert on it myself and can only
> point you in the right direction.

Hello Thufir,

My answer on the subject didn't vary much since last time I replied to
you. Debian/Ubuntu Tomcat packages must rebuild from source and try to
follow FHS rules, so they can't just unpack the upstream binary tarball
in a single directory. For more details, please see my previous replies:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-January/027251.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-February/027326.html

I cannot vouch for the tomcat5.5 package, but for the tomcat6 one I
tried my best to follow FHS and still make sense in a Tomcat perspective
(implementation of CATALINA_BASE/CATALINA_HOME as described in upstream
RUNNING.txt). The Jaunty release improves that by removing a few extra
useless directories. That said, I understand that upstream prefers you
to reproduce problems with their unpacked binary tarball before filing
bugs. Our deployment method can certainly introduce
Ubuntu/Debian-specific bugs.

Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team