FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Server Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Joe McDonagh
 
Default partman-auto-raid shown in docs but not on server cd (8.04)

Hi All, this is a somewhat old (2 month) problem that has recently come
back on my radar. I cannot for the life of me get partman-auto-raid to
work in my preseed. The udeb doesn't even look like it's in the regular
server distribution. I've tried anna-install/early_command, which does
say queueing partman-auto-raid for install, but then it won't partition,
so obviously that's not all I need to do. The documentation for 8.04
seems to indicate there is no magic involved. Is there some special
trick to this that I am missing?

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Mathias Gug
 
Default partman-auto-raid shown in docs but not on server cd (8.04)

Hi Joe,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:37:29AM -0500, Joe McDonagh wrote:
> Hi All, this is a somewhat old (2 month) problem that has recently come
> back on my radar. I cannot for the life of me get partman-auto-raid to
> work in my preseed. The udeb doesn't even look like it's in the regular
> server distribution.

partman-auto-raid has been included on the server cd starting from
Intrepid. If you're using 8.04 you cannot preseed a raid install using
a -server cd install. However a network install might work.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Joe McDonagh
 
Default partman-auto-raid shown in docs but not on server cd (8.04)

Hi Mathias, thanks for the response. This now leaves me with two questions:

1. Why do the 8.04 preseed docs include this information then? It's very
misleading.
2. Could you expound on what you mean by a network install? I currently
do a netboot then grab all my packages from a mirror. Are you saying to
use the netboot portion from intrepid, but point my mirror at the hardy
target? This won't cause any problems?

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:37:29AM -0500, Joe McDonagh wrote:
>
>> Hi All, this is a somewhat old (2 month) problem that has recently come
>> back on my radar. I cannot for the life of me get partman-auto-raid to
>> work in my preseed. The udeb doesn't even look like it's in the regular
>> server distribution.
>>
>
> partman-auto-raid has been included on the server cd starting from
> Intrepid. If you're using 8.04 you cannot preseed a raid install using
> a -server cd install. However a network install might work.
>
>


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Joe McDonagh
 
Default partman-auto-raid shown in docs but not on server cd (8.04)

Hey Mathias, sounds like you're a busy guy but did you see my last
e-mail? I was wondering if A. the docs for 8.04 that talk about
partman-auto-raid could include a note like "this is not by default
included in 8.04 LTS", to save someone else the trouble I've gone
through and B. Were you insinuating I use the intrepid installer to
install hardy? I've never done that so I want to make sure that's what
you were getting at.

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:37:29AM -0500, Joe McDonagh wrote:
>
>> Hi All, this is a somewhat old (2 month) problem that has recently come
>> back on my radar. I cannot for the life of me get partman-auto-raid to
>> work in my preseed. The udeb doesn't even look like it's in the regular
>> server distribution.
>>
>
> partman-auto-raid has been included on the server cd starting from
> Intrepid. If you're using 8.04 you cannot preseed a raid install using
> a -server cd install. However a network install might work.
>
>


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Mathias Gug
 
Default partman-auto-raid shown in docs but not on server cd (8.04)

Hi Joe,

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:12:55AM -0500, Joe McDonagh wrote:
> Hey Mathias, sounds like you're a busy guy but did you see my last
> e-mail? I was wondering if A. the docs for 8.04 that talk about
> partman-auto-raid could include a note like "this is not by default
> included in 8.04 LTS", to save someone else the trouble I've gone
> through and B. Were you insinuating I use the intrepid installer to
> install hardy? I've never done that so I want to make sure that's what
> you were getting at.
>

I would *not* try to use the intrepid release to install hardy. Even
though partman-auto-raid is not on the -server iso, it's available from
the archive. So a network installation should work correctly (ie don't
use the -server iso). In the early command you'd have to use wget to
download the partman-auto-raid udeb and install it with udpkg -i.

Here is a sample of an early_command that something similar:

d-i preseed/early_command string wget -O /tmp/keyring.udeb http://www.emdebian.org/d-i/emdebian-archive-keyring-udeb_1.4.3.1_all.udeb && udpkg -i /tmp/keyring.udeb


--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 03-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Joe McDonagh
 
Default partman-auto-raid shown in docs but not on server cd (8.04)

Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:12:55AM -0500, Joe McDonagh wrote:
>
>> Hey Mathias, sounds like you're a busy guy but did you see my last
>> e-mail? I was wondering if A. the docs for 8.04 that talk about
>> partman-auto-raid could include a note like "this is not by default
>> included in 8.04 LTS", to save someone else the trouble I've gone
>> through and B. Were you insinuating I use the intrepid installer to
>> install hardy? I've never done that so I want to make sure that's what
>> you were getting at.
>>
>>
>
> I would *not* try to use the intrepid release to install hardy. Even
> though partman-auto-raid is not on the -server iso, it's available from
> the archive. So a network installation should work correctly (ie don't
> use the -server iso). In the early command you'd have to use wget to
> download the partman-auto-raid udeb and install it with udpkg -i.
>
> Here is a sample of an early_command that something similar:
>
> d-i preseed/early_command string wget -O /tmp/keyring.udeb http://www.emdebian.org/d-i/emdebian-archive-keyring-udeb_1.4.3.1_all.udeb && udpkg -i /tmp/keyring.udeb
>
>
>

I tried to anna-install it in the early_command which didn't work, so I
will give your method a shot. Thanks!

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org