-   -   Server Team 20090217 meeting minutes (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/248396-server-team-20090217-meeting-minutes.html)

Mathias Gug 02-19-2009 12:46 AM

Server Team 20090217 meeting minutes

Hi,

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with
the irc logs here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20090217.

==== Update ServerGuide for Jaunty ====

sommer listed all the sections that needed to be reviewed on the wiki page[1].
Help in testing and giving feedback is welcome.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyServerGuide

==== Postfix and Dovecot integration ====

mathiaz announced that ivoks' work on integrating dovecot and postfix had been
uploaded. Everything planned for Jaunty has now been implemented.

ScottK mentioned that clamav 0.95 was due out soon and there was a chance it
would make it into jaunty post-FF. 0.94.2 is also available from the hardy-
backports repository and should be available from dapper-backports soon too.

ACTION: ivoks to create a wiki page for ideas about improving the mail server
task post-jaunty.

==== Power management ====

kirkland gave a brief overview of the power management state for server
hardware: powernowd is installed by default on -server systems to enable cpu
freq scaling. Relevant packages for suspend/hibernate and resume by WoL have
also been added to the -server iso. He is mainly interested in feedback on
hardware where suspend/hibernate can be verified as (not) working.

He also mentioned that he created a ssh wrapper, which pings first to see if a
host is alive. If not a wakeonlan request is sent and after 3 seconds the
wrapper tries to login into the machine again. His machines wake from suspend
when he needs them and it only takes about 3 seconds for them to wake up which
is lot faster than ~60seconds to boot.

He plans to do more tests about power consumption.

ACTION: kirkland to blog about using suspend/resume for servers.

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, February 24th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-
meeting.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Martin Pitt 02-19-2009 07:11 AM

Server Team 20090217 meeting minutes

Mathias Gug [2009-02-18 20:46 -0500]:
> kirkland gave a brief overview of the power management state for server
> hardware: powernowd is installed by default on -server systems to enable cpu
> freq scaling.

I find that a little odd, given that Scott just went through some
efforts to drop the package from desktop installs and do some kernel
fixes. Is powernowd on servers still required with those?

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Dustin Kirkland 02-19-2009 04:18 PM

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Mathias Gug [2009-02-18 20:46 -0500]:
>> kirkland gave a brief overview of the power management state for server
>> hardware: powernowd is installed by default on -server systems to enable cpu
>> freq scaling.

Martin-

I've been following that thread on ubuntu-devel@.

When I added it to the seed, the server was not yet using on-demand
cpu frequency scaling by default at boot. Adding powernowd solved
that for us (at the time).

But yes, you are correct, Martin. As of kernel 2.6.28-8.24, powernowd
should not be necessary.

I verified this on my Ubuntu server by uninstalling powernowd,
rebooting, and seeing that:

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
ondemand
$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
powernow-k8

And I have verified that Scott has removed them from the server seed.

Thanks, guys.
:-Dustin