-   -   Install under Hyper-V, maybe others (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/243797-install-under-hyper-v-maybe-others.html)

02-11-2009 01:36 PM

Install under Hyper-V, maybe others

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I was wondering why the install screens take so long under Hyper-V?

Once installed, the system runs fine - the install screens take forever to appear[0], the install process reminds me of using a 1200 baud modem connection to a BBS.

I suspect the culprit is the video interface (I assume it defaults to the a bare-bones video driver), but with Hyper-V as a mainstream product, and assuming there will be interest in running Ubuntu appliances under it in mainly MS Windows Server shops, I think this problem could keep some users from considering rolling out Ubuntu Server.

I've not noticed this on the Desktop installs I've done under Hyper-V, but I haven't done one in a while...

So I'd be interested in understanding why this happening, and try and find out what it would take to correct this "problem" - I'm happy to help, but I am not a coder...

Thanks,

Ken

[0] My hardware, while not bleeding-edge, is quite reasonable - Dell PowerEdge T105 with dual-core Opteron @ 1.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, SATA HD & DVD drive, running Windows Server Enterprise 2008 x64. The VM is installing from an actual CD in the drive, and has the Legacy Network Adapter selected with the default "synthetic" Network Adapter removed.

"Miano, Steven M." 02-11-2009 02:02 PM

Install under Hyper-V, maybe others

I’ve experienced the same on more robust hardware:

PowerEdge 1900:

2x2.33 xeon quad cores

16gb of RAM

Running Windows Server 2008x64.

*

I installed from an .iso loaded into the virtual disk drive, with no network adapter included.

*

I’ve never attempted the “supported” distributions on Hyper-V, but would be interested to see if they don’t react the same way to the curses based install
procedure.

*

~Steven

*

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.